New Wordpress install: "Can’t select database"
Posted by: SRD (---.lns6.pie.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 17, 2015 11:45AM

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and had to reinstall WampServer to get it running.

I'd like to reinstall Wordpress for a local WampServer site.

I have deleted the old database and username, and created a new user + associated database of the same name. I left the password blank.

When I try to run the install, I get to [example] and the error:

Can’t select database

We were able to connect to the database server (which means your username and password is okay) but not able to select the example database.

Are you sure it exists? Does the user example have permission to use the example database? On some systems the name of your database is prefixed with your username, so it would be like username_example. Could that be the problem?
I have confirmed the database name is correct.

I've confirmed the user has correct privileges to the database + global privileges.

Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Wordpress install: "Can’t select database"
Date: December 17, 2015 11:47AM

I have turned Windows Firewall off, and Glasswire Firewall off, and the issue remains.

I installed WampServer as the local administrator.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: December 17, 2015 12:13PM

Hi SRD,

Quick question first: Did you make a backup of the complete \wamp\ folder before you did the re-install?

A reinstal is not normally necessary as all you have to do is re-register the Apache and MySQL services with windows, and that is done with 2 clicks on the wampmanager menu! Unfortunately the upgrade of windows does not do that but it should not destroy the \wamp folder or anything in it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: December 17, 2015 12:48PM

Hi RiggsFolly.

Thanks for your assistance.

Nope, but that's not critical at this stage, I want to create a new Wordpress website on localhost.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: December 17, 2015 01:45PM

For wordpress you normally have to create the database in phpMyAdmin before running the install unless something has chnaged since I last palayed with WP.

Have you created a database ( no tables ) and made sure that you have a MySQL user account created (with passsword) that has ALL privilages on that database. The install creates the database so at least for the duration of the install, you must make sure that the user account is basically a super user for the install to work properly. You can reduce privilages after the install has completed.

I suggest an account with a passwrod in case the install will not work with an insecure user account.

Oh and have you created a Virtual Host for this WP site to run in?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2015 01:47PM by RiggsFolly.

Date: December 17, 2015 01:51PM

Thanks. I think reinstalling WampServer destroyed the MySQL user account.

Fixed now.

Thanks for your assistance.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.