ampapache64 won't start
Posted by: FunkyDexter (37.152.195.---)
Date: September 18, 2015 04:32PM

Windows 10,
WAMP Server 2.5 (Downloaded from [www.wampserver.com])
Apache 2.4.9
PHP 5.5.12
MySQL 5.6.17

Colour of server icon: Amber.

I'm trying to install WordPress and, as part of that, I'm installing WAMP Server. It appears to install correctly (no error messages) but the wamp server icon won't go green. I've been doing some investigating and I believe that's because the wampapache64 service isn't started. If I try and start it manually It gives a server specific error code 1. The system event log just says "Incorrect Function".

Any idea how I can fix this?

I've gone through the checks here: "[forum.wampserver.com]; and believe I've covered all the relevant ones.
This was a new install, not an upgrade.
I've installed as admin
I'm installing to D:\wamp
No Skype
No other php.ini files
I've checked the hosts file (it originally had localhost entry 4 times but I've reduced that to 1)
I've turned IIS off in features. I've also stopped the service using IIS manager.
pings return success
exceptions have been added to anti virus
No errors in MySQL or Apache Log Files (actually, the files don't exist at all)

I think that's everything I should have checked but I am outside my conform zone here so if I've missed anything please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ampapache64 won't start
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: September 18, 2015 05:20PM

Did you install the MSVC 2012 runtime before installing WAMPServer?

Please read this document Lots of troubleshooting tips Specifically point 20

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: FunkyDexter (---.180.208.46.dyn.plus.net)
Date: September 19, 2015 08:03PM

Thanks for the response.

I've gone all the way through that thread. I originally skipped point 20 because 1. I wasn't getting the error message it describes and 2. I already have MSVC installed as part of visual studio (both 2012 and 2014 currently installed).

None the less, I've just downloaded it and run repair. The service still wouldn't start so I've then uninstalled WAMP Server, checked the services were removed, rebooted and reinstalled. I'm still getting the same problem.

Any further suggestions?

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: September 19, 2015 10:28PM

Hi,
You also need to install VC9 and VC10 packages. All of point number 20 but VC6.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: FunkyDexter (---.180.208.46.dyn.plus.net)
Date: September 20, 2015 11:40AM

OK, I've done that. 9 installed successfully, 10 won't install as a newer version is found. I'm still getting the same issue.

Date: September 20, 2015 12:06PM

You never mentioned whether you have a 32 or 64 bit Windows and you never mentioned if you installed 32 or 64bit WampServer.

If you have 32bit windows and therefore 32bit Wampserver you only need to install the 32bit runtimes of course.

If you have 64bit windows and 32bit Wampserver you only need to install the 32bit runtimes for wampserver, but it is a good idea to install both 32 and 64bit tuntimes, afterall these runtimes are used by other code you may eventually install as well.

If you have 64bit windows and 32bit Wampserver you need to install both the 32bit and 64bit runtimes.

If MSVC 10 runtime wont even allow you to do a repair then you are looking at the wrong one look again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: FunkyDexter (81.174.190.---)
Date: September 29, 2015 12:00PM

Sorry for the delay in responding. I've just moved home which put everything else on hold.

I'm running Windows 10, 64 bit. I ran the 64 bit installation but not the 32 so that could be the problem. Is this just a case of running both installs, one after the other?

I'll look into the MSVC issue again.

Date: September 29, 2015 12:31PM

As you are running W10 64bit, you need to install BOTH the 32bit MSVC runtimes and the 64bit MSVC runtimes. Like you say one at a time.

You only need one WAMPServer, either the 32 or 64bit.

Personally I would suggest the 32bit WAMPServer. The 64bit is really only for geeks. The 64bit WAMPServer i.e. 64bit Apache/MySQL/PHP adds nothing to what you get and in fact makes it more difficult to find and use any of the non standard PHP extensions as many are still only 32bit and will remain that way at least until a full 64bit port of PHP is completed (maybe PHP7) and then will only be converted when the developers have the time and inclination to do the recompile and make any mods necessary for the 64bit environment.

Posted by: FunkyDexter (81.174.190.---)
Date: September 29, 2015 08:26PM

OK, I've installed MSVC 32 and 64 bit for 2012 (It seems 32 is all that's available for 2008 and 2010 which makes sense).

Still no joy I'm afraid. The apache server fails to start and the log just says incorrect function.

Edit> Sadly I think I need to shelve this for now. Between the house move and the need to chuck a web site together fairly quickly I just don't have the time to spend on it that it really needs. Meanwhile I've got Microsoft Expression working which, I think, will do the job I need.

It's a shame because lots of folks had recommended WordPress and I feel I'll be missing out by not getting to play with it but sometimes you've just got to take the path of least resistance.

I want to thank RiggsFolly and Ottomatic for trying to help. Sorry I couldn't quite get there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2015 08:42PM by FunkyDexter.

Date: September 30, 2015 01:33AM

When you want to try again, we could try a Team Viewer session if you like.

I can normally get people up and running with a little perceverance.

Posted by: FunkyDexter (---.245.208.46.dyn.plus.net)
Date: October 01, 2015 09:44AM

Thank you. That's a very generous offer and I'll probably take you up on it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.