help with FTP server needed
Posted by: mandy (88.81.225.---)
Date: November 11, 2011 08:27AM

HI,

I downloaded FTP server (Filezilla) and trying to install it on Wamp, but I can't figure out HOW and WHAT to fill in.
Please could you give me a step by step instructions for dummies smiling smiley
What to do after adding a new user?

Thanks,

Mandy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2011 08:29AM by mandy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help with FTP server needed
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.251.255.15.threembb.ie)
Date: November 11, 2011 05:19PM

Where are you tryin to send the files to?

Most likely you will need FileZilla. Server and not FileZilla client which you probably downloaded

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: November 14, 2011 03:59AM

To run a web server, you need to be an admin w/ full privilege; however, in your case you can find a work-around by setting up VH and FTP

Install a FTP server such as Filezilla server on wamp machine; setup 1 FTP user account for each user and its document root will be the same folder that you setup in VH; for example, user1 has FTP account user1 which document root is the folder C:/wamp/www/user1 as set in VH as follows:
<VirtualHost *:80>
DocumentRoot C:/wamp/www/user1
</VirtualHost>
The user will use FTP client such as Filezilla client to upload their php scritps to their FTP account; then, they can type 'http://user1' to show the webpage and/or content of folder c:\wamp\www\user1, for example, 'http://user2' to show the webpage and/or content of folder c:\wamp\www\user2, 'http://user3' to show the webpage and/or content of folder c:\wamp\www\user3 ... in additions, you can add their shortcuts such as site1, site2, site3... to custom WAMP Menu for quick access; check screenshot below winking smiley

[jlbn.com]

No matter within or outside LAN access, you need to setup Access, DNS, and VH; Access for permission to connect to your Wamp PC, DNS to tie Domain(s) to your Wamp PC, and VH to host multiple Domains/Websites/IP's and even you have only 1 Domain/IP, you should use VH to set it up w/ the site you want to show up first on top and localhost on bottom and others in middle if having more than 1 site; w/ VH, other PC's, no matter w/i or outside LAN, can access and see websites or contents of that particular folder set for that particular VH on your wamp PC. If dont have real Domain, just skip DNS guide

To setup Access, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

To setup VH, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

To setup DNS, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: alfred23 (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 23, 2011 10:34AM

Thx yfstud, your suggestions worked for me and enjoyed other useful materials on your site jlbn!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.