wamp 32-bit and 64-bit
Posted by: JohnMaher (---.static.optonline.net)
Date: March 24, 2015 02:42PM

Can I have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions on my machine?

Also how do I restart the server? I do not see a restart option anywhere and it is quite unproductive to have to reboot every time a change is made to the ini file. Or is that just how wamp is?

Thnaks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wamp 32-bit and 64-bit
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: March 24, 2015 02:48PM

Hi,

> Can I have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions on my machine?
Why ?
Apache and PHP in 64-bit versions bring nothing more nor nothing better than 32-bit versions.

Right-click->Refresh.

When you make changes in the ini files using Wampmanager menus, the "refresh" is done automatically.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: March 24, 2015 04:41PM

To restart server services, all you need to do is use the wampmanager menus like so

wampmanager -> Apache -> Service -> Restart Service

wampmanager -> MySQL -> Service -> Restart Service

If you want to start / stop / restart both Apache and MySQL both together use

wampmanager -> Stop all Services

wampmanager -> Start all Services

wampmanager -> Restart all Services

Dont see how you anaged to miss all those options?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: March 24, 2015 04:50PM

I do not have those options.

The only option I have is "start WampServer"

So now my question is how do I get those options if the default installation does not provide them.

Date: March 24, 2015 04:53PM

The reason I was wondering if I can have both 32-bit and 64-bit is I am trying to use SQL server with php.

It is not working and I suspect that may be because microsoft failed to provide a 64-bit driver.

I can find very little information on this and the latest I have found is 3 years old. If anyone knows of a guide, tutorial or anything that may explain how to use SQL server with php I would appreciate it.

Date: March 24, 2015 05:25PM

Thanks for your help. Although I do not understand why there is no option to restart the server I was able to do it by stopping and restarting the service. Perhaps there is a command line switch? If someone can provide me the command under thier "wampmanager -> Stop all Services" I may be able to create the missing option.

And I can understand why an administrator doesn't understand why you would need both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions but trust me, in the development world that is actually a common need. The real world dictates the need and this is sometimes not what we want. i.e. I want to use the 64-bit version but this is impossible.

I solved the problem. It seems microsoft does not provide a 64-bit version nor do they tell you. So if you wish to use SQL server you are forced to use the 32-bit version. The file name is accurate though, SQLSRV32.EXE. But I've found you can not go by the file name 100% of the time.

Thanks again.

Date: March 24, 2015 06:19PM

John,

Just a small point here > ?

At which point, in any of your posts, did you even vaguely suggest that your question was about SQL Server?

We are not clarevoyant !!

WAMPServer does not come with SQLServer, which is why there are not simple manu controls for SQL Server, however it does come with Apache/MySQL and PHP, so were we just supposed to guess !?!?!?!?!

Out of interest it is possible to install WAMPserver 32bit and WAMPServer64bit on the same system as long as you install into 2 seperate folders i.e. C:\wamp and C:\wamp64 for example.

As the Apache and MySQL services are named differently in both versions i.e.
32bit = wampapache and wampmysqld
64bit = wampapache64 and wampmysqld64
It is even possible, although NOT RECOMMENDED to run them together.

Not recommended as it will require more than a basic knowledge to get then to run togeter.
Specifically as Apache will by default want to Listen on port 80 regardless of which version you install
and MySQL will want to Listen on 3306 regardless of version.

However its is definitely possible to install both versions and with littel knowledge run them both as long as you dont run them at the same time but that is fraught with potential to screw things up.

On top of this if you check with the PHP website, 64bit PHP is still considered EXPERIMENTAL as it is NOT a complete 64 bit port yet. Which is why Otomatic suggested that there was not need to install both, and as a rule we suggest the 32bit version is for most users, and the 64bit version is purley for the geeks.

I hope this clears up a few things for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: March 25, 2015 02:09PM

Just some things you should know.

I DID post a question about wamp and SQL server. It was ignored. It is here [forum.wampserver.com]

Since I did not get any replies it led me to believe no one here knew anything about SQL server. After all, if I ask a question about SQL server and no one replies anything at all that is a sign no one knows anything at all.

So I had to debug the problem on my own. And if you go back and read my post you will see i NEVER asked if I could run both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. I asked if I could INSTALL both versions. The difference is huge.

Also you mention the PHP site without providing a link. And how do you think that is helpful? I have searched on dozens of issues and not once have I seen a PHP site. I saw no message at all about anything being experimental during the install. So how could I know?

When designing a software solution you do not want to use outdated code. Although that is not always possible, you should still try. Running 32-bit code on a 64-bit machine still uses a 64-bit bus.

So lets see, I have a need to use PHP with SQL server. I find very little documentation. I ask on the forum and get NO RESPONSE. So I have to take it one step at a time. Reduce variables. Seeing what the 32-bit version does and comparing it to what the 64-bit version does allowed me to resolve the issue.

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2015 03:31PM

Hi,

JohnMaher
Also you mention the PHP site without providing a link. And how do you think that is helpful? I have searched on dozens of issues and not once have I seen a PHP site. I saw no message at all about anything being experimental during the install. So how could I know?
Let me tell you that you have looked very bad.
It is very simple, the official website of php is http://php.net/ Downloads for Windows are very well marked: http://windows.php.net/download/ and on that download page for 64-bit versions it is clearly stated: Note: x64 builds are currently experimental
Be a little initiative and do not expect that everything happens all ready.

This is the SQL Server support which should explain how to interface with PHP. Please understand that we can not know how to interface and use hundreds of CMS and thousands of web applications that use PHP or MySQL.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: March 25, 2015 03:52PM

Hi Otomatic

Thank you for providing that link but I don't think you are understanding my questions. Not sure what you mean by "looked very bad" but I wasn't looking to install PHP. So I was not trying to find that site. So you're saying I looked bad because I didn't find something I wasn't looking for? That doesn't make sense. I was responding to Folly, that is all. He responded that I should "know" PHP 64-bit is experimental and I was trying to illustrate to him why that assumption is unfounded.

There seems to be general misunderstanding. For example I asked if I could install both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions and instead of an answer I get "Why?" Do you know that by not answering a question you provide very little help and prolong the problem? If you answer the question you become helpful.

And for anyone else having any issues you can install both 32-bit and 64-bit versions pf wamp on a windows machine only IF you install the 32-bit version first. If you install the 64-bit version first the 32-bit version only partially installs and reports success but does not work. You will then need to remove both and start with the 32-bit.

Date: March 25, 2015 04:17PM

Your first post:

Can I have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions on my machine?

Also how do I restart the server? I do not see a restart option anywhere and it is quite unproductive to have to reboot every time a change is made to the ini file. Or is that just how wamp is?

WAMPServer comes with 2 servers 1. Apache 2. MySQL. So some reference to SQL Server On This Thread would have helped.

Your second post:

I do not have those options.

The only option I have is "start WampServer"

So you obviously have not even bothered to look in the SYSTEM TRAY for the WAMPServer W icon.

Example: It should be GREEN by the way, RED=BOTH Apache and MySQL services failed to start, ORANGE=Apache OR MySQL service failed to start.
Oh and it does not test for the existance of OR State of SQL Server as that does not come with WAMPServer. It also does not start or stop SQL Server.

You can click over this icon, either right click OR left click and you will receive a different menu depending on whether you use left or right clicks.
They are very useful, especially for starting and stopping the servers that come with WAMPServer.

How to start and stop SQL Server
Starting and stopping SQL Server from the command line (you dont need to reboot)

And as a final note

As your financial outlay for WAMPServer was $0.00, £0.00, €0.00 you may also understand that this forum is run by VOLUNTEERS. So please try and keep a civil tone to your posts. We help where we can, we even research solution for those without the ability or desire to work it out for themselves.

So give us a break

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2015 04:18PM by RiggsFolly.

Date: March 25, 2015 09:21PM

@Folly

Sorry if I offended you, but you were quite rude. You must understand when you are rude to someone it can be difficult to be 100% professional. Don't forget I am human.

Also this thread has noting to do with SQL server. I was trying to install the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of wamp. Thats it. End of story. You keep going on and on about SQL server. Why? Thats not what I asked. Thats not what the title is. If you really want to talk about SQL server why did you not post to the thread I created about SQL server? You rant and rant off-topic and blame me? Why? Why keep attacking me? I really don't understand your behavior. If you wish to volunterr to help people then thats great, I applaud you. If you volunteer to attack people I question your motives.

Under my start menu is says "start WampServer." Then you said it comes with 2 servers. The installed command implies 1 server. I hope you can see why this is confusing. And before you rant about SQL server, I am not talking about SQL server.

Date: March 25, 2015 09:48PM

Once you start WAMPServer from either the Start -> Wampserver or from a icon on the desktop, it drops an icon in the system tray, normally a green W icon, if all is well.

Depending on your setting this icon can sometimes get put into the System Tray expansion area, which you can see by clicking the little triangle in the system tray area.
If its in the expamsion area it still works when you hover over it and left or right click it. However I find it easier to drag it to the Permanantly Visible section of the System Tray, so I dont forget about it or loose it.

Have you found this System Tray Icon? And do you see how you can start/stop/restart Apache and MySQL whenever you want to, without having to reboot.

PS. Its a good idea to get used to using this, as it is a very good idea to at least Stop the MySQL server BEFORE a reboot or Shutdown. Just rebooting while MySQL server is still running can in some situations cause database corruption.

Date: March 27, 2015 03:47PM

Thanks for your reply. Yes I found the icon since your last post and have been able to restart and shutdown the servers. I can now view a php generated page locally and on a remote machine.

Also thanks for the bit about MySQL. Things like that have the capability to really cause some havok.

But I am up and running now, thanks.

JM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.