relocated site issues
Posted by: koc001 (---.kochhazard.com)
Date: March 04, 2015 07:03PM

had a wordpress intranet site on an old box using xampp - moved it to a new station using wamp.
the issue i'm having on the new box is everything seems to need to be entered proceeded by the ip address.
"ip address"/intranet/wp-login.php. when i get in the site nothing works because it directs to an address that doesn't have the ip address. not figuring out how to stop it from needing the ip address entered

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: relocated site issues
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: March 04, 2015 08:17PM

Look up HOW TO MOVE A WORDPRESS SITE.

Its not a WAMPServer problem it's a "I dont know what I am doing" problem.

I will even give you a link to get you started [codex.wordpress.org]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: March 04, 2015 08:29PM

Sort of why I said I wasn't figuring it out
Thought maybe someone else far more knowledgeable than i would be able to answer easily.
Instead I'll just look it up and regret having posted anything to this forum.

Date: March 04, 2015 08:45PM

Makes 2 of us

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: everseeker (---.swo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2015 10:24PM

gets on <soapbox>Hey RiggsFolly
Please... for the love of heck...
Have the decency to STHU if your only contribution is RTFM

He may have done that, he may not have.
YOU might take a look and give a HELPFUL solution, including a recommendation to read the entire solution, included at xyz

to do otherwise is to troll
Trolling is ... not optimal

PS, look at YOUR OWN SIGNATURE......
The L A S T option to try is to Read the Manual... NOT the first. The first is to ask a person
</soapbox>

Date: March 04, 2015 10:26PM

probably decreased the odds of getting an answer to my Q by a factor of 100, but I had to state that.

Date: March 04, 2015 11:05PM

If can be in anyway helpful to someone else. I had followed the migration steps pointed out above. I found in my case using just localhost in a browser was taking me to wamp server home page and not to the intranet folder were my wordpress files were.

maybe a better solution out there but for me moving everything in my intranet subfolder to just in the root www folder took care of it for me.

Posted by: EndlessEncounters (199.66.94.---)
Date: March 05, 2015 02:53PM

@ koc001

hows it going along?

Date: March 05, 2015 03:39PM

Hi koc001,

The best solution for any project or downloaded app/tool is to create a Virtual Host for that application to run in. See this post for Information

WordPress is well know for its annoying use of the domain name that the site was originally installed into being saved into its database, making moving a site less than straight forward. There are probably hundereds of documents out there on the internet describing how to overcome this when you move a site from one domain to another, which of course is what you are doing when you move a LIVE site to WAMPServer.

Some of them may actually be useful, but again you are best advised to go to the WordPress Codex web site for a definitive answer.

EverSeeker
< soapbox >
...< right_to_reply >

My signature comment when all else fails Read The Manuals is supposed to be ironic.

It is supposed to suggest that in fact the manual should be the first place you look.

Questions about not understanding how WordPress works are not actually what this site is for.

To be honest questions coming from a lack of understanding of how Apache or MySQL or PHP work are not strictly relevant, although I normally do my best to help, when I have the time. However occasionally when I am tired and its late at night and the questioner appears to have done little or nothing to solve thereown problems before posting here, I get a little fructrated and occasionally allow this to show in my post.

Remember the guys at AlterWay did not write Apache or MySQL or PHP, they just collected them up into a neatly installable package.
Then added a nice little tool Wampmanager that allows us to interact with Apache and MySQL in an easier way than having to do it all manually and the ultimately great feature of being able to switch between versions of Apache, MySQL and PHP incredibly easily.

RE: Your laughable comment about me TROLLING

Can I assume that you are therefore prepared to spend a few hours a week on this site helping out those with less knowledge than yourself. It would be good to get a little help as I seem to be the only regular contributor here!

...< /right_to_reply >
</ soapbox >

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2015 08:16PM by RiggsFolly.

Date: March 05, 2015 07:17PM

RiggsFolly... Allow me to reset...

Hail and well met.

your most recent reply to the oposter is clear, helpful, provides a pointer to a possible solution, and is un-snarky smiling smiley

I was not actually as... moved to comment... by your first comment as to the second one... you must admit, "...Makes 2 of us..." is right out of the Troll handbook smiling smiley

I actually am a moderator on some sites, but not in this particular product space.
I have only been working with WAMP for ~2 months. (Heck, I am asking, in another thread, what I assume to be a basic question re: ssh2)
Perhaps, as time passes, and I get MUCH, MUCH better at WAMP, I may take you up on your offer.

Date: March 05, 2015 08:29PM

Dear everseeker,

Well I TROLLED your question about SSH2 and provided you with the benefit of my many trolls of this site, which is normally followed by me doing the research that others are incapable of/to lazy to do for themselves.

I hope it is understandable, however if you still have problems do let me know and I will troll up a solution for you, failing that I have often offered TeamViewer session where I will fix the situation, if I am capable of doing so.

Date: March 05, 2015 10:14PM

Grin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.