WampServer is a pain to install
Posted by: elmonty (12.26.189.---)
Date: November 13, 2014 03:22PM

When I first started using WampServer, it was great! It was plug and play and worked out of the box. With the latest release, it has been a real pain. Every time I help a coworker install it, it never works right, and configuring it is a nightmare.

Config files always open in Windows Notepad, no matter how I have my system settings.

Config files have no line breaks and appear as a jumbled mess

Aesean Tray menu errors

Should I be using a different release? Or perhaps a different WAMP package altogether?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WampServer is a pain to install
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: November 13, 2014 03:33PM

First you should ensure that the PC has all the required MSVC runtime libraries installed.
MS have released many more versions of their compiler since WAMPServr 2.2, it does complicate things a little but installing at least MSVC Redist 2008 and 2012 should get you runing a vanilla WampServer 2.5. Install all of them for complete safety.

Here's the full list and links to the download pages.
[forum.wampserver.com]

Config files have no line breaks and appear as a jumbled mess
For some reason, they decided to release all the files with UNIX line endings in 2.5, This is going to be changed to DOS line endings in furure releaases.

Notepad is not up to the job, surely you have a decent editor available to you?
Try notepadd++ if you dont have anything else its free and very good.

Config files always open in Windows Notepad, no matter how I have my system settings.
Edit \wamp\wampmanager.conf and change this parameter.

editor = "c:/program files/notepad++/notepad++.exe"
Make sure you use the unix '/' and not the dos '\' in the path of this parameter, because of course you know what a dos slash does in a double quoted string dont you?

Aesean Tray menu errors

See point 1, make sure you have at least the MSVC runtimes 2008 and 2012, best if you have them all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Re: WampServer is a pain to install
Posted by: elmonty (12.26.189.---)
Date: November 13, 2014 04:08PM

Oh yes, there's also the "Forbidden" message that comes up in the browser when we try to get to one of our own aliases.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.