Trouble Shooting VHosts
Posted by: snowman53 (---.170.45.160.dsl.dyn.telnor.net)
Date: February 16, 2010 02:06AM

I have a working web server that is using Vhosts.

I am trying to set up an offline backup server, but I am having a problem with vhosts. Pings to the domain(s) go to localhost, but I get "cannot display the webpage" errors, including the Apache localhost page.

I have tried setting it up manually and by simply copying the working configuration from the working server.

Since it is working on the original server, I am fairly sure I have it set up correctly - but obviously something is wrong.

How can I trace how WAMP is looking for domains?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trouble Shooting VHosts
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2010 04:05AM

to setup access, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

to setup dns, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

to setup vh, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: February 16, 2010 04:24AM

Those are the sites I used. As I said.I have it working on one server, but need to trouble shoot the off-line server.

Posted by: TalonTsi90 (---.160.161.66.DED-DSL.fuse.net)
Date: February 16, 2010 05:03AM

How do you propose to troubleshoot it if its offline? or are you saying that it wont come online, and thats why you need to troubleshoot it.

Or, we are all missing the point, and you are having trouble with shooting the vhost winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2010 05:03AM by TalonTsi90.

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2010 05:36AM

I have tried setting it up manually and by simply copying the working configuration from the working server.
then you might have conflict in path/ip/document root

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: February 16, 2010 06:03AM

By "off line", I mean the internet facing router is not forwarding port 80 to the "off-line" server. The idea is to have a hot backup in case of a failure of the primary server and allow server experimentation without endangering the primary.

The hosts file is set to route local requests for the web site(s) to 127.0.0.1, (Same as the primary server.)
Which should allow Apache to find the correct routing. But in this case, even though local pings route to localhost, Apache seems to fail to find the Vhost.

I am looking for a way to trace what's happening to the request after it gets to localhost, i.e. is it reaching Apache? What is Apache doing with it?

Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.