Upgrading Wamp Server
Posted by: Dark-Spencer (---.static.tpgi.com.au)
Date: July 09, 2014 01:43AM

Hi everyone,

I'm currently running what appears to be wamp server 2.0 (its about 3-4 years old) and believe I need to upgrade to the newer version so that I can start working on Joomla 3.x websites.

The version I'm currently running lets me work on Joomla 1.5 and 2.5 sites without any problem but I'm having problems getting Joomla 3.x to install.

So far I've backed up all of my sql databases and files but I wanted to check with you guys that I'm doing the right thing. I currently have 145 client websites loaded onto my wamp server and losing any of them will be a huge problem.

My plan was to backup all my files and install a fresh copy of the latest wamp server onto another computer then load some websites onto it to make sure it works fine.

Am I doing the right thing? Or is there a better way to do this? I've looked over some of the old forum posts but considering they where from a few years back I thought I would get a fresh opinion.

Cheers,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Upgrading Wamp Server
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: July 09, 2014 01:55AM

I dont know why I bother posting these tutorials as nobody bothers to look at them.

See STICKY post Installing a new release of WAMPServer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: July 09, 2014 03:27AM

Thanks for the link. Like I said before I did look over the other forum posts and did read up about it but I just wanted to get a final check from you guys. I'm rather paranoid about something going wrong.

Date: July 09, 2014 09:56AM

Well I can understand that.

Using that approach you should always be able to just go back to where you are now if you have to.

Be aware that its not quite so straignt forward to switch versions of Apache and PHP anymore as the producers of Apache and PHP have been changing the versions of MSVC that is used to compile Apache and PHP.

If you are switching back to very old Apache and PHP they are likely to be compiled with VC6 and the new code is compiled with VC11 and the 2 are incompatible.

So when you want to switch to and fro

Switch the Apache, it is likely to fail to start (wampmanager stays orange)
Then switch PHP if they are compatible Apache should start
If not just rerun the Apache switch i.e. click on the version number again and then switch PHP again i.e. click the PHP version number again.

Hopefully that should get it all going.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: July 10, 2014 06:24AM

Ok thanks,

I'm still nervous about doing the upgrade but unfortunately it is something that needs to be done if I wish to start working with Joomla 3.x

I've backed up everything on my computer but I'll try/practise on my old computer 1st. The only thing is that I think it has a different version of wamp.

On my current computer the taskbar icon is a half circle speedometer / gauge but on my other computer the icon is the standard "W" symbol. But they both claim to be wampserver 2.0

Is one 64bit and the other 32bit?

Date: July 10, 2014 10:03AM

No its just very old if you have the speedometer, not sure when that changes but the base system is the same, your test will be valid.

Practice idea is good.

If you have any questions, feel free, or any problems with the doc let me know and I will amend it.

I do this process quite frequently so it should be valid.

The beauty with it is you never actually destroy your original system until you are happy with the new install and all you sites/databases are moved over. I would never suggest that a proper backup is not required, but, in fact the process is its own backup and quick revert to original.

Just have a quick read through the whole doc before you start.

If you get really stuck, I can also help if you install TeamViewer.

Date: August 18, 2014 04:21AM

hey guys i'm having a lot of trouble getting the latest version of wamp to run on my other computer.

i followed the instructions but then when i went to install the new version i was given an error that there was a missing system file. i looked up the file on google and found that i could get it by installing all the updates for windows. i've done all that but wamp still wont work even after trying to uninstall and reinstall the program.

unfortunately i can't access wamp to remove the mysql and apache services because wamp wont start properly. every time i start the program the tray icon only turns orange and cant be clicked on. it also says that only 1 out of 2 processes are working when i hover over the icon.

i can't think of what the system file's name was but i'll look it up as soon as i get a chance and post it here.

if anyone has any advice or knows what to do i could really use it right now thanks.

Date: August 18, 2014 10:02AM

You can remove a Windows Service manually using the 'SC DELETE servicename' command when run from a Command Window that is launched using the 'Run As Administrator' menu option.

Do

sc delete wampapache
sc delete wampmysqld

I am note sure if all these MSVC Runtimes will be installed by Windows Update, and it sounds like you may be missing one of them.

Read this post Error MSVCR100.DLL Solution and make sure you have all these installed

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.