Apache Web Server fails to start
Posted by: rkevinburton (---.dhcp.mdsn.wi.charter.com)
Date: February 09, 2014 10:22PM

I am not sure when it started but my Apache Web Server fails to start (the WAMP icon statys orange). I managed to look at the Windows Event log (I am running Windows 7 Service Pack 1) and I see three errors that make sense but I am not sure what to do about it. I am not sure how to tell what is the conflict all of a sudden. Like I said it worked up until recently.

(OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted. : AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80

AH00451: no listening sockets available, shutting down

AH00015: Unable to open logs

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Apache Web Server fails to start
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.ppp.as43234.net)
Date: February 09, 2014 11:58PM

Did yo install something else that uses port 80?

Do this, it will tell you if anything is usubg port 80:

wampmanager -> Apache -> Service -> Test port 80

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: rkevinburton (---.dhcp.mdsn.wi.charter.com)
Date: February 10, 2014 02:56AM

I get a response back that port 80 is actually not used.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.ppp.as43234.net)
Date: February 10, 2014 12:34PM

What colour is your wampmanager icon, nin the system tray

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: rkevinburton (---.sonicfoundry.com)
Date: February 10, 2014 09:19PM

Orange.

Posted by: nkuhlman (---.home.otenet.gr)
Date: February 12, 2014 12:41PM

I have been facing a similar problem. I checked with netstat, with pretty much every combination of flags, and there was no evidence of anything else listening at port 80. Now, most of this is beyond my ken, since all I am trying to do is a little WP blogging. However, I arrived experimentally at the fact that if I shut off my ZoneAlarm firewall, httpd would start. I also had a cleaner program called YAC. I have also experienced the oddity of getting the cannot bind message, and then seeing that httpd is in fact running after all.

Long story short, check out your security software, as well as any remnants from broken installation attempts.

HTH.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: February 12, 2014 01:20PM

Does this mean you have amended ZoneAlarm to allow port 80 to connect and be connected to the internet?

Or that you had to shut it off permanantly.

A note on how you setup zonealarm would be useful, if you can find the time.

Posted by: nkuhlman (---.home.otenet.gr)
Date: February 12, 2014 03:39PM

@RiggsFolly,

In view of the amount of free support you provide on this forum, it's the least I can do. My approach has not been scientifically rigorous, and I won't be surprised if my own results vary. I had ZoneAlarm set up with default install; it seems I had to shut it off completely in order to get apache to start. I am not 100% sure that ZA was the problem, it may also have been the YAC cleaner. On subsequent startup, I did _not_ disable ZA or YAC, and WAMP started without difficulty. Go figure.

after getting apache going, I was still having a bit of trouble with phpMyAdmin. then, suddenly and without explanation it was fine. therefore I assume that at some point it may again suddenly and without explanation return to not fine. I am still on my 1st boot since then, so if anything changes next go 'round, I'll mention it.

again, for reference, WinXP box, Apache 2.4.4, php 5.4.16, MySQL 5.6.12, zonealarm 12.0.118.000, YAC unknown version, Opera 12.16

I don't aim to drag a red herring across anyone's trail, but if you are getting negative results with netstat, does it necessarily mean that nothing is listening at the port? newbie question.

Thanks again!

nk

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: February 12, 2014 03:46PM

Thanks.

RE: netstat

1. Negative result means nothing is usng port 80 AT THE TIME YOU RAN THE NETSTAT.
2. There is a nice little tool on the wampmanager menu,
left click wampmanager icon -> Apache -> Service -> Test port 80
which does the same thing I think but is easier to remember how to do.

Usual things that grab port 80 and annoy new wamp users are:
SKYPE - can be configured to stop it using port 80
Team Viewer - can be configured to stop it using port 80
IIS and associated bits if IIS - can be configured to stop it using port 80 or rather disabled or uninstalled

Posted by: rkevinburton (---.sonicfoundry.com)
Date: February 13, 2014 03:44AM

Thank you. Taking the port 80 out of Skype fixed it for me.!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.