Are Developers Here? Here is a suggestion to you!..
Posted by: tazosmr (149.3.87.---)
Date: January 16, 2014 08:23PM

Hello.
Many people in the internet (read forums, Stackoverflow) has the common problems, and i dont know if Wampserver developers dont take this into account. This is a very simple, common problems:

1) Many people may download Wampserver at first, and install it. After that, many of them find out that they need Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package, but its late. IT SHOULD BE INSTALLED before Wamp is installed. [ALSO, in many cases (i.e. WINDOWS XP users), should install 2008 version before 2010]. So, what would be, if there will be a special window, whenever a Wampserver Setup is started, the first window should be like this:
"Have you already installed Visual C++ 2010 Package?" [if setup detects, that the Operating system is XP , ask for "Visual C++ 2008 &2010 Package"]

2) What will be, if Wamp had a feature, that, when it is started and it checks, that process, named Skype.exe interferes it to start all services normally, then show an alert( popup message) to the user: "please, close skype at first, then Restart Wamp. After that, you can open skype again".

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are Developers Here? Here is a suggestion to you!..
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (Moderator)
Date: January 16, 2014 08:26PM

its written on the homepage.. that you need the c++ redis packages, if you leave updates on your pc, it will probably be installed.

why dont you ask skype to add a message on their software that says it uses port 80 by default and make block a web server from working....

Apart from this, wamp is in bad enough condition at the moment that if it worked , it would be useful , the developers are poor at keeping this project up to date.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Re: Are Developers Here? Here is a suggestion to you!..
Posted by: BConOfLight (94.102.192.---)
Date: January 17, 2014 02:04AM

tazosmr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello.
>
> 1) Many people may download Wampserver at first,
> and install it. After that, many of them find out
> that they need Microsoft Visual C++ 2010
> Redistributable Package, but its late....
>

Hello tazosmr,

Unfortunately many people don't read the WARNING that pops up as soon as they click on the download link for their chosen version....
I doubt if telling them again wil help them a lot in the long run.

> 2) What will be, if Wamp had a feature, that, when
> it is started and it checks, that process, named
> Skype.exe interferes it to start all services
> normally, then show an alert( popup message) to
> the user: "please, close skype at first, then
> Restart Wamp. After that, you can open skype
> again".

1. Skype isn't the only application that uses port 80 . Skype is a 'client' application and normally doesn't run alongside web servers, so why make an exception for it?

2. It isn't wampserver that chokes.. It's Apache, wampserver just lets us know.

3 To help us do our part, the wamp menu has an option under Apache > Service > Test Port 80, Many users don't seem to use it intelligently.
4. Many users apparently are not very good at reading pop ups, see your 1) above

Personally, I think that these litte things are sent to try us and make us stronger and better. If many users can't come to grips with troubleshooting these issues I have to wonder why so many such users are downloading wampserver.

I think many user expect too much from free software and too often want or need to be spoon fed without putting in up front effort for themselves

Still a Wampserver Manual would be a useful thing to have.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.