Re: Wampserver 2.4 What to do after Installing : the Wampserver.conf file
Posted by: BConOfLight (94.102.192.---)
Date: January 13, 2014 02:57PM

I have Wampserver2.4 installed {from Wampserver2.4-x86.exe - 28/12/2103 @ 20.06) and have no other versions of Apache or php installed and am implementing the changes recommended in the forum posting Wampserver 2.4 What to do after Installing http see : //forum.wampserver.com/read.php?2,119754

I am not at the point :

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
-+-+-+- File php.ini -+-+-+-
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

"Before you edit the php.ini file, it is necessary to modify the contents of the file C:\wamp\bin\php\php5.4.16\wampserver.conf:

What is the purpose of the file?
(Why is editing it a necessary prerquisite and why are the recomendations made as they are? - see below)

The instructions go on to say :

"1. I have deleted the lines referring to Apache 1.3 and 2.0 because of their incompatibility with PHP 5.3 and higher.
2. I added the missing references to Apache 2.4 "

I replicated points 1 and 2 above and ended up with :

<?php

$phpConf['phpIniDir'] = '.';
$phpConf['phpExeDir'] = '.';
$phpConf['phpConfFile'] = 'php.ini';

$phpConf['apache']['2.2']['LoadModuleName'] = 'php5_module';
$phpConf['apache']['2.2']['LoadModuleFile'] = 'php5apache2_2.dll';
$phpConf['apache']['2.2']['AddModule'] = '';

$phpConf['apache']['2.3']['LoadModuleName'] = 'php5_module';
$phpConf['apache']['2.3']['LoadModuleFile'] = 'php5apache2_3.dll';
$phpConf['apache']['2.3']['AddModule'] = '';

$phpConf['apache']['2.4']['LoadModuleName'] = 'php5_module';
$phpConf['apache']['2.4']['LoadModuleFile'] = 'php5apache2_4.dll';
$phpConf['apache']['2.4']['AddModule'] = '';

?>

Note that this includes Apache 2.3 but the replacement code shown in the original omits this.

In addition to wondering what purpose the file serves, this leads me to ask the following :

Is Apache 2.3 compatible with php5 or not? If so why is it omitted in the suggested replacement code?

or alternatively

Why isn't the recommendation to maintain/ edit wampserver.conf for only the installed version(s) of Apache at all times giving .

Giving :

<?php

$phpConf['apache']['2.4']['AddModule'] = '';

?>

as the recommended default version?

Cheers
BCon

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: January 13, 2014 03:16PM

Hi,

We are only users of WampServer and we are just trying to help other users.
Please, go write your complaints and grievances to the composers rather than shoot the pianist. It is here: [www.alterway.fr]

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: January 13, 2014 03:17PM

Hi Beacon,

Something you may have missed about the handy functionality of WAMPServer: You can switch between versions of Apache/MySQL and PHP easily and quickly in WAMPServer.

Q1: What is the purpose of the file C:\wamp\bin\php\php5.4.16\wampserver.conf?

A1: This file is used when switching versions of PHP and/or Apache. It tells the switching code which filename contains the PHP Interpreter for each version of Apache.
So the PHP interpreter compatible with
Apache 2.2.x is php5apache2_2.dll
and
Apache 2.4.x is php5apache2_4.dll

Q2: I replicated points 1 and 2 above and ended up with : .....

A2: Dont! Do only as suggested in the document.
Apache 2.3 didnt really exist for some reason, and it had the same interface as Apache 2.2 anyway.
I doubt you can find an Apache 2.3.x to donwload.

Q3: Why isn't the recommendation to maintain/ edit wampserver.conf for only the installed version(s) of Apache at all times giving .

A3: Because it is possible to get WAMPServer so switch versions of Apache and PHP !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: January 13, 2014 04:03PM

Hi,

You can add any version of PHP 5.5.x but as PHP 5.5.x doesn't work with Apache 2.2.x (There is no dll file php5apache2_2.dll for PHP 5.5) you must edit the wampserver.conf file for PHP 5.5.x like this:
<?php

//PHP 5.5.x needs Apache 2.4.x and doesn't works with Apache 2.2.x

$phpConf['apache']['2.4']['AddModule'] =  '';

?>
There will be a warning triangle to the right of Apache 2.2.x versions in the WampServer menu if the current PHP version is 5.5.x.
It should then return to PHP version 5.4.x before wanting switch to Apache 2.2.x

Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: January 13, 2014 05:35PM

Hi RiggsFolly.

Thanks for the response, and clarifications.

Regarding your answer to Q2. Sorry, I cant do that smiling smiley... Instead I did as instructed "If you have questions or corrections please start a new thread and detail to report any problems."

I posed the questions, perhaps because I have learned the hard way not to take all instructions at face value. In this case the description of what was done was not consistent with the results shown I knew there was a hole somewhere. [It was a logis error - I've been around computers too long!]

I am sure others will see the same and now there is a documented explanation of that little gap. So it's all good.

Q1 and Q3 are related in my mind. In that without understanding the purpose it's impossible to understand the format and contents.

Note that in my preample I stated I have no other versions installed, nor would many other users as I have read elsewhere "a WAMPServer install is basically just a copy of files onto your disk". (see the link below)

I also believe that it is best practice to only include relevant configuration data (neither obsolete nor superfluous) for the installation, that there should be a 1:1 correspondece between what is installed/in use and what is configured, hence my 'suggested' solution and question about it.

Unless I am mistaken, there is no Apache2.2 ,Apache2.3 supplied in this version, so why SHOULD they be included in the configuration file for the version. Why arbitrarily configure for these legacy versions and not others.

Yes, It is possble to get Wampsever to switch versions of Apache and PHP and this file facilitates it but first those versions have to be installed.

I have browsed another excellent sticky posting "Before installing new release " see : [forum.wampserver.com]

Within this there is a section "Bringing old versions of Apache, MySQL and PHP from your old wamp to your new wamp."
I assume that this can and should also apply to situations where a user may want to use more current versions of the components within your current wamp.

Don't you ?

Thanks for your help

BCon

Date: January 13, 2014 06:20PM

Otomatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
>
> We are only users of WampServer and we are just
> trying to help other users.
> Please, go write your complaints and grievances to
> the composers rather than shoot the pianist. It is
> here: [www.alterway.fr]

I'm only a user of Wampserver trying to get some help and possibly help others even in asking and getting answers.
In this case it's hard to know who your metaphorical composers are..

Are they :

Otomatic (who composed the origanal sticky post)
RiggsFolly (who translated and amended it)
www.aletrway.fr ( who may also be www.wampserver.com the BUILDERS of Wampserver) ??

For all I know, beng a new, but not a naive user and forum member, some or all could be the same.

Either way as I have neither a grievance nor a complaint. I am simply following the request in the RoggsFolly English version :

"If you have questions or corrections please start a new thread and detail to report any problems."

Have a nice day !!

BCon

Date: January 13, 2014 07:07PM

BConOfLight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Unless I am mistaken, there is no Apache2.2 ,Apache2.3 supplied in this version, so why SHOULD
> they be included in the configuration file for the version. Why arbitrarily configure for these
> legacy versions and not others.
I apologize for my bad english.
You are right, there is only Apache 2.4 with this version. But, like many other issues that are addressed in the subject you mention, it remains in this version of WampServer many things inherited from previous versions such as "widgets" for PHP 5.2 or Apache 1.3 or 2.0.

WampServer developers had to send some - including me - a prerelease before making it available to all. Unfortunately, this has not been done and you see the result with all the changes we are seeking to do after installing WampServer 2.4.
That is why, sometimes, depending on the mood of the day, I answer without being politically correct to the questions. Questions that would be much simpler if the developers had done what was expected.

I could listen to music, so I had a good day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.