Anything Other Than Localhost?
Posted by: chugger (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2008 03:16AM

I'm new to WampServer, just stumbled upon it. I'm rebuilding my server and didnt wanna install apache, mysql and PHP all over again. This seems like a good product.

Anyways, I've installed it and all seems to be working however, I can access a test page (test.html) via

[localhost]

but if I try to get to it via:
[webserver.test.html] it doesnt work? What gives?

webserver is just the name of the computer. Seems to me like you should be able to get to it via both ways, localhost and computer name.

This is happening all internally of course. I'm not testing it off my network. Ideas?

Oh in addition, my taskbar icon when you right click on it, looks NOTHING like the first screenshot located here:[www.wampserver.com]

How do I get all those options? Thanks alot

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2008 03:52AM by chugger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anything Other Than Localhost?
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: January 17, 2008 04:42AM

Check the guides on my websites for all your questions

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: chugger (---.area4.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 17, 2008 02:39PM

I've read the guides and answered my second question.

However the guides show NOTHING in regards on how to access the site other than localhost. I'm not trying to reach it from the WWW just internal. So I should be able to access it via computer name (i.e [webserver])

Date: January 17, 2008 03:03PM

Are you sure? Did you check Setup LAN and Worldwide Access and Setup Virtual Hosts?

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: January 17, 2008 04:17PM

Setup Lan and W Access is just about port forwarding which has nothing to do with what I'm attempting to have work. The virtual hosts, I tried, but still think it isn't what I'm ultimately trying to do.

If I install just apache alone, and NOT wampserver, I can get to my webserver, or page name (test.html) via http:/webserver/test.html just fine.

However wampserver doesnt auto configure the webserver like this for some reason. I even checked the httpd-info config and change some code around there as well. I keep getting a HTTP 403, Not authorized to view this page

Hmmm, gotta keep trying I guess. Sweet product, just takes some time to get use to and figuring out how to configure

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2008 04:20PM by chugger.

Date: January 17, 2008 04:26PM

I finally figure it out!!

THIS:

Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
Allow from 127.0.0.1

Had to be changed to THIS:

Order allow,deny
Allow from all

dang that was tough

Date: January 17, 2008 05:28PM

That's the second step in my Setup LAN and Worldwide Access

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: January 17, 2008 05:37PM

The second step in ur "Setup Lan" guide says the following:

STEP 2: Put your WAMP Server in On-Line Mode

WAMP server comes with off-line mode by default. To put your WAMP server in on-line mode, left click on WAMP tray icon to access Main Menu, then select "Put Online" (setpo.jpg)

It shows nothing to do with altering the http-conf file.... to what I've stated above

Date: January 17, 2008 08:04PM

You're wrong

When you put your server in on-line mode through wamp tray icon, it not only changes the codes but also changes all associated settings such as tray icon, server status, so on

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: chugger (---.webcu.org)
Date: January 17, 2008 09:39PM

I understand what putting it in online mod does. Anytime you make changes to the config your supposed to restart the server. I GET that part. I just don't understand how your trying to argue the fact that, in your guides you specifically say to alter that line of code in the config. Because it doesn't state that anywhere.

Altering the code and putting the server in ONLINE mode are two different things.

I don't really want to argue it, not worth the time for you or me...I just felt the guides didnt "guide" me adequately like I thought they should. Thats all

Date: January 17, 2008 11:22PM

I just felt the guides didnt "guide" me adequately like I thought they should. Thats all
Thanks for your comments; I will look into it

I don't really want to argue it, not worth the time for you or me
You're right, but in case you wonder what the settings will be done when you click on "Put on line", read the codes in your wamp folder, and you will see it's exactly as I mentioned in previous post

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2008 11:37PM by yfastud.

Posted by: Fez (---.wa.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 18, 2008 02:31PM

Adding my 2 cents worth tongue sticking out smiley

His guides have helped me heaps. they are more than clear so yea...

ok...

Date: January 18, 2008 08:53PM

Thanks, Fez

Different people have different angle when viewing the same object, that's why already posted on front page as follows:

To the experiencers, this is nothing special, but hope it comes in handy for the first time WAMP users.
My target is new wamp users, and if my explanations are not clear enough, the readers might get lost; that's why I ONLY post steps to do instead. The other reason is I still have a lot of guides need to be finish, and I can only do it after my long official work hours, so I can't spend to much time for a particular guide; therefore, I try to make it as short and simple as possible

Anyway, thank you all for supporting

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2008 08:54PM by yfastud.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.