Secure WAMP installation?
Posted by: macquoy (---.access.telenet.be)
Date: January 17, 2008 10:25AM

Hi,

I'm ICT Coördinator in a school.
The student's hobby is to mess in the network security (if lessons are boring :-)).
Now i've installed the wamp server on a second partition of 100mb.
I want to secure the installation so that the students can only make an alias en put files in the wwwroot.
I've tried this witch ntfs security but the Wamp server faild working.

Can someone help me?

Thanks!

greets
Steven

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Secure WAMP installation?
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: January 17, 2008 11:57PM

Do students has direct or remote access? If remote, you can try to install ftp server and grand each student a limited space in his folder which is saved in wwwroot; for example:

wamp/www/student1 (limit to 20mb)
wamp/www/student2 (limit to 30mb)

If you don't like ftp server, you still can build codes so students have access their spaces through browser

Then if you follow my guide Setup Virtual Host on my websites, your students can access their own websites as follows:

[student1]
[student2]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: macquoy (---.access.telenet.be)
Date: January 18, 2008 10:48AM

Thanks for your respons.

The Wamp server runs local on each pc on a second partition witch full write/read access.
At this time the students can just easely remove the files etc. and it seems like they have a precedure to run files like in the "run" function from windows (witch is blocked).
If the users make an alies to their homedrive it doestn't work.

Thanks for your support...

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2008 03:42AM

Not sure why you install wamp on all machines instead only on the main one, then setup separate folder for each students, in which the student can access their own folder through ftp client or browser

You still can teach them how to create and query MysQL database either through php scripting or phpmyadmin

Maybe if you state the goals that you will teach the students, I might have some suggestions for you

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.