Win 7- Wamp -WordPress-Filezilla configured accordingly - Permalinks still won't work?
Posted by: freespirit (---.plus.com)
Date: November 28, 2013 03:56PM

hello, I hope some one can help me, I have done everything I can think of and still I get the same problem.

I followed this to install wordpress on wamp.

[make.wordpress.org].

I checked re-write module and looked in the http.conf to confirm it was un-hashed.

Also, it appears WordPress creates a .htaccess file automatically in the wp folder and this is its contents:

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>
# END WordPress

I set permalinks [mywpsite] and it still throws up a 404 not found page

"Not Found
The requested URL /about/ was not found on this server."

In terms of setting permissions, chmod .htaccess, I am on a windows 7 and use FileZilla to transfer files to and from my host. CHMOD is a command used on UNIX OS which means it's not supported on Windows. If i try to change the permission using filezilla, I get the "504 command not implemented for that parameter" message. Aside from chmodding .htaccess, I don't know any other way of changing its permissions.

I am beside myself because I cannot get this permalink thing down.

I would really appreciate any help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Win 7- Wamp -WordPress-Filezilla configured accordingly - Permalinks still won't work?
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: December 01, 2013 04:42PM

Well on a window workstation version you do not need to change permissions as the Apache service has access to all it needs, as is the windows way. So forget that whole can of worms.

Have you read this from [codex.wordpress.org] specifically the symlink part??

Users of WAMP (Windows):
Some versions of WAMP (all versions?) do not enable mod_rewrite or permit following SymLinks by default. To enable the required functionality navigate to the apache/conf/httpd.conf file, open with a text editor and uncomment the line LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so (i.e., delete the hash/pound sign at the front of the line). Then further down in the same file there is a section that starts with the line "Options FollowSymlinks". Change the second line in that section from "AllowOverride none" to AllowOverride all. Save edited httpd.conf and restart all WAMP modules. Your permalinks should now work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Re: Win 7- Wamp -WordPress-Filezilla configured accordingly - Permalinks still won't work?
Posted by: freespirit (---.plus.com)
Date: December 01, 2013 08:02PM

Hi Riggsfolly,

this is what i am talking about, all of that is done already... even on WP when I set permalinks, it says succeeded but when i launch the page it says not found.

This "LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so" was unhashed already as was this " AllowOverride All"...

i'm stumped.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.