Can't send emails after upgrading WampSever
Posted by: Cell Guy (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2013 12:14AM

I upgraded from an older version to the newest version and now emails will not send with PHPMailer. When I try to send an email, the page just shows that it's loading and never stops (and the email never sends).

While trying to debug the problem, I came across this page: [blog.techwheels.net], which says:

"If “php_smtp” PHP extension is not available in your WAMP Server installation (mostly unavailable in WAMP 2.0c and later versions) then you can ..."

I looked and that extension isn't in the WampServer menu. Was the ability to send emails really removed from the newest version of WampServer?

What should I do to be able to send emails again?

EDIT: Also, I should mention that my email script works fine on my live server, but just not on WampServer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2013 12:25AM by Cell Guy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can't send emails after upgrading WampSever
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: November 23, 2013 11:13PM

Please be careful about info on the internet

Theres a lot of data and not so much information.

Since PHP5.3 the smtp extension has been built into the core of PHP i.e. YOU DONT NEED TO INCLUDE AN EXTENSION ANYMORE. Its all built in!!!!

A quick look at the PHP.NET site would probably have told you that.

When debugging the problem .... try lookong at the 'php error log' and the 'apache error log'
Try turning PHPMailer->Debug on

What version of PHP were you using before?
What version of PHP are you using now?
What version of PHPMailer have you installed??

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: November 24, 2013 03:43AM

Hi, thanks for your reply.

When I tried opening the php error log, a dialog came up saying it didn't exist and asked me if I wanted to create it, so I assume that means there weren't any errors logged.

I cleared the apache error log and there aren't any errors added to it after running the phpmailer script.

Is there anything that needs to be done to allow emails to send on wampserver?

Date: November 25, 2013 11:30AM

Its got to be something trivial as I use it quite happily.

Have you tried setting

PHPMailer->Debug to on and displaying error messages if the $mail->Send() fails

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: November 25, 2013 11:31AM

Try setting

$mail -> Debug

and then echo'ing error messages

if ( ! $mail->Send() ) {
echo messages here
}

Date: December 15, 2013 04:46AM

Problem fixed! It turns out that the problem was actually caused by Avast!, which I had installed the new version of right around the time I installed the new version of wampserver! After turning off Avast!'s mail and antispam shields sending emails works again!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2013 05:33AM by Cell Guy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.