apache server problem port 80 is free
Posted by: MeTurk (---.dsl.digiweb.ie)
Date: November 05, 2013 03:49PM

Windows 7

I made a silly mistake of installing to Wampserver 2.4, over my old installation (running mysql 5.1.36). The thing is I had an important joomla site that I need to get access to. The site folder and mysql data is still there but ever since installing wampserver 2.4 Apache server won't start, even after I uninstalled 2.4 and reinstalled the older version again.

Skype isn't running on the PC and port 80 is free. I went through this thread [forum.wampserver.com] looking for a solution, all the services mentioned in the thread aren't running on this PC, no "ISS", "web deploy" or "world wide web publishing service" can be found to turn off.

I'm probably making things worse by uninstalling and reinstalling things so I'm wondering what else could be stopping the service from running and what I need to do to get the site up and running again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: apache server problem port 80 is free
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: November 05, 2013 03:56PM

Can you expand upon 'WONT START'

What actual errors aer you getting?

How to tell which service is not running if the wampmanager icon is orange.

Left click the wampmanager icon to reveal the menu-> Apache -> Service
If the Start resume service menu item is Green then Apache is running.

Left click the wampmanager icon to reveal the menu-> MySQL -> Service
If the Start resume service menu item is Green then MySQL is running.

If Apache is the service that is not running it is normally, but not always, because something else has captured port 80.

Now do,
Left click the wampmanager icon to reveal the menu-> Apache -> Service -> Test port 80
This will launch a command window and display some information about what, if anything is using port 80.

Whatever it is should be re-configured to not use port 80 or uninstalled if you are not using it.

If port 80 is not the problem look for errors in the appropriate error log ( use the wamp manager menus to view the error logs )

If these do not exists or show no errors then also check the Windows Event Viewer
Start -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer
And look in the 'Windows Logs' -> Application' section accessed from the menu on the left of the dialog for error messages from Apache and or MySQL.

If the problem is not obvious then post the errors here

Date: November 05, 2013 04:49PM

Thanks Riggs

The tray icon remains yellow.

If I press "put online" I get the following error:
Aestan tray menu
Could not execute menu item (internal error)
[exception] Could not perform service action:
The service has not been started

There don't seem to be any error logs in wampserver yet, when I click to view it just asks me if I want to create them (it's a new install)

In windows event viewer the apache error says: Syntax error on line 22 of wamp/alis/sqlbuddy.conf:
Another error follows it, also apache: The specified IP address is invalid.

I'm also seeing an error for MSQL$ESTOCKCARD3 that says: Login failed for user 'sa'. [client: 192:168 (it's the network IP for this computer)]

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: November 05, 2013 05:21PM

Ok

point 1.

You dont need to put online until you want to show your site to the internet. It just changes the security to allow or disallow access from the internet, but it needs Apache to be running to work properly.

This error:

Aestan tray menu
Could not execute menu item (internal error)
[exception] Could not perform service action:
The service has not been started

Makes me think that its the Apache service that has now started.

Did you do as I suggested to work out which service was not starting??????
I guess not!!

This error:

In windows event viewer the apache error says: Syntax error on line 22 of wamp/alis/sqlbuddy.conf:
Another error follows it, also apache: The specified IP address is invalid.

seems quite OBVIOUS. take a look at the file c:\wamp\alias\sqlbuddy.conf and either work out whats wrong with the statement on that line or paste it in here so I can see it!!

Remember I cannot see over your shoulder.

Date: November 05, 2013 06:02PM

Thanks for the help riggs,

The line had "allow from 1" I removed that from the sqlbuddy.conf and webgrind.conf and everything is working again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.