how to set 755 or 644 permissions
Posted by: terraDon (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2013 06:22PM

I created a folder within an ap that I'm testing in WAMP server 2.2 using Windows Explorer in Win7 64bit. Having trouble, I wanted to check that folders were set to 755 and files to 644. I would typically use FileZilla to check/change permissions on the remote server. WAMP is my testing server and I haven't set up FTP. Using Windows Explorer, I saw that the read only check box was filled with color for the folder that I added. After several tries, I was finally able to clear the check box and have it flow to all subfolders and files. But...I was frustrated in my efforts to see the permissions as it would be seen on the production server. My question: Is there a way to check/change/set permissions to the 755 or 644 that I'm familiar with?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how to set 755 or 644 permissions
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: July 30, 2013 10:00PM

You are running on a Windows machine. Windows does not have that kind of file/folder permission.
They are unix concepts.

Date: July 30, 2013 11:55PM

I know. It seems like Windows 7 changed the way permissions are handled to an even more complex scheme than vista and xp. Clearing the Read Only attribute is transitory. It does not want to stay cleared. That is keeping the php program from using those files as it should.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: July 31, 2013 02:44AM

You dont need to do anything, you have access to everything.
Wamp runs with enough privileges to access anything. Unless you have done something very odd.

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (Moderator)
Date: August 01, 2013 09:50PM

sounds like a virus if the file cannot be changed to clear "read only" or else your not the right user.

open CMD as administrator, navigate to file and use the "attrib" command to remove it

attrib filepath\filename

this will show you the current flags

you can use + and - to add and remove more

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: August 01, 2013 10:07PM

Actually it's the GUI that is confusing. The state of the read only flag on a folder is meaningless. On folders it is a filled blue but doesn't mean that it or any files in it or subdirectories are Read Only. If cleared, it only stays unfilled while the session is active. It's only if it is ticked that read only is set. But...there is no real guarantee that applications will treat them as read only.

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (Moderator)
Date: August 01, 2013 10:11PM

if a file is flagged as read only, then its read ONLY.

A folder doesnt have a read only option- what would it mean?

if you need to see all files in a folder to read only use attrib to set it for all files in a folder

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.