MsAccess as FE config to MySql possibilites
Posted by: FuzMic (49.124.156.---)
Date: April 27, 2013 04:06AM

Hi friends

Using msAccess as Front End in a Window OS, the MySQL can be linked via ODBC as 1) direct to a local mysql, 2) WAmp localhost, 3) remote to host server 4) remote access another Remote-PC using WinOS via its IP Address. Is this a correct assumption?

If 1) & 4) above do work, Questions:

For 1), in what form is the Mysql as an local mysql since it is not going through the local host eg using Wamp.
For 4), since Remote-PC is WinOS basis, what form of Mysql do i need to have?

Questions may not make sense. Help much appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MsAccess as FE config to MySql possibilites
Posted by: FuzMic (49.124.115.---)
Date: April 27, 2013 01:12PM

Update

I just found that at the folder within wamp that contain the mysql.exe i can run the following command

mysql -u root -p

and after entering in root password, i got a following successful prompt
mysql>

Next i am planning to try the following

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'USERNAME'@'IP' IDENTIFIED BY 'PASSWORD';

What this will apparently do is create a new 'USERNAME' with ROOT privileges & IP is the physical IP address of the computer I wish to grant remote access to.

If ‘%’ IS used instead of an IP number, then user will be able to remote access this MySQL server from any computer. PASSWORD is the password you wish to create if it’s a new user or the existing password of an existing account. Apparently single quotation is a must.

Some questions

1 Basically i want to get confirmation whether the mysql server installed with wamp be accessible as a mysql by a remote pc with WindowOS?

2 Also like to know if the workbench can do all these instead of using the Dos prompt or perhaps phpadmin will also do this.

3 How to limit it to only one particular database in the mysql server?

4 How does msAccess using ODBC connect to this server? ODBC will limit access a database, a user/password so it solve question 3.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2013 01:32PM by FuzMic.

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (Moderator)
Date: April 27, 2013 03:43PM

What's the project?

Sounds like a bad idea to begin with

Ms access is a database- so why would u want to use mysql???

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Posted by: FuzMic (49.125.117.---)
Date: April 27, 2013 04:22PM

Hi Steven

I am using msAccess for years as front end but not too good for backend, so switching to mysql, it does work at a unix server with apache & mysql. So why a bad project. Please explain.

Date: April 27, 2013 04:36PM

Does the front end need to be an application?

If your using mysql , just make a quick web page for the UI?

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: April 27, 2013 04:36PM

Hi FuzMic

Looks like you have moved on to your next issue.

MySQL works on Unix and Windows and should provide much better managment of your database.

There is not much you cannot do using MySQL Workbench but it does assume you know a little basic SQL..

Are you saying that you have a MSAccess database and you want to migrate it to a MySQL database?

Posted by: FuzMic (49.125.117.---)
Date: April 27, 2013 05:43PM

Good Day Chris, good to see you again.

Steven my current concern is just to understand the architecture of connecting to a winOS pc. What i want the FE to do is a subject later. Once i have the connection or link, all that can be fixed, i think.

Chris, i am not too concern about converting my current .mdb to mysql.

My objective to leap forward fast with connection to another WinOS pc via the internet. Let's see

1 I have been connecting using ODBC connector to a mysql database at a Unix host that runs apache & mysql server using its IP address, username/passWd & databaseName.

2 Using ODBC i can also connect to my localhost database via Wamp. As expected, wamp needs to running before i can connect to the localhost or 127.0.0.1 with user name / PWd. In fact must be running before one can even run mysql.exe.

Questions
1 Can i do away with Wamp in the localhost to use ODBC to connect to a Mysql database? If so how can i do it.

2 What is architecture at an WinOS pc with its known TCP address to be remotely accessible by user using ODBC / msAccess combination? Puzzle is it not that wamp is only for local usage?

Lead the way, i am lost!!

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: April 27, 2013 06:18PM

I think you may be trying to make life more complex than it needs to be.

What are you actually trying to achieve by connecting to your live database on your hosts system?

You can send me a PM if you would like to keep this a little more private, or if your spoken English is a good as your written we could have a SKYPE call and maybe I can point you in the right direction and make life a little more simple for you.

PM me if you want to SKYPE and I will send you my SKYPE ID.

Date: April 27, 2013 06:25PM

localhost is a little confusing.

in fact it has nothing to do with mysql at all.

localhost is a reference to the ip 127.0.0.1

connections can me made to ip addresses on specific ports.

apache uses 80 so localhost:80 or 127.0.0.1:80 is what apache binds to.

mysql binds to 127.0.0.1:3306.

wamp doesnt need to be running at all because wamp is just a menu that will start and stop the apache and mysql services.

A service on windows is a way for windows to control an exe in a controlled, reliable and automatic manner.

so for example the mysqld.exe which is the exe used for services is started by telling windows to start the wampmysqld service.

if you just want to use the mysql.exe this will result in the command prompt staying open unless you start it in a cmd shell with the -c command

provided that the port is open in the firewall, on windows the ip address of the machine will be used for remote connections.

so if pc with a LAN IP of 192.168.1.2 is running mysql on port 3306 , you will access this on all pcs on the network with the host name 192.168.1.2

if the remote pc is not on the same LAN network , then you can use the WAN IP. If a router is involved, you will use your WAN IP and then have the router forward all connections on port 3306 to the internal LAN IP.

Regardless of this, mysql is usually set up very securely with just access for localhost and 127.0.0.1

To allow someone else to connect , you need to create a new user and give the ip of the pc that will want to connect. you can also use a wild card to allow anyone, but this is not recommended.

regarding ODBC, Mysql needs a specfic connector to be installed > [dev.mysql.com]

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Posted by: FuzMic (49.125.28.---)
Date: April 28, 2013 01:19AM

Huge & kind effort can be felt from both of you to lead, THANK YOU.

Steven, from my questions you know that i am total novice in mysql, services, ports, etc, i am really at the bottom of this new learning curve. From your many pointers have opened up lots of avenues for me to leap up plus better understand things i have done before eg blocking access using 127.0.0.1. I too have tinker with msSQLEXPRESS as the back end and what you say add up to a better foundation.

Certainly i will take up Chris PM offer. I will PM you on the best window to do this.

Cheers!

Posted by: FuzMic (49.125.248.---)
Date: April 28, 2013 04:52PM

Hi guys

Meanwhile i learn to start and end the local MySQL server in PC1.winOS; by passing wampServer

C:\WAMP\bin\mysql\mysql5.5.24\bin\mysqld.exe -- to start

C:\WAMP\bin\mysql\mysql5.5.24\bin\mysqladmin.exe -u root shutdown -- to end it

What is left is how to remotely connect to a particular database in PC1 from another PC2.WinOS using ODBC connector.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.