Wampserver y appserv in localhost
Posted by: maxomenos (---.186-190-160.nodosud.com.ar)
Date: March 23, 2013 03:03PM

Hi,

I have installed appserv 2.5.10 and I want to install wampserver, both at localhost.

Is it possible to install wampserver without deleting the databases I created using appserv?

Thank you!

regards

Max

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wampserver y appserv in localhost
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: March 24, 2013 06:00PM

Max,

I dont know APPSERV specifically, but having had a look at the site ....

WAMP and APPSERV are basically the same thing i.e. a delivery mechanism for Apache/PHP/MySQL.

If AppServ is like WAMP i.e. the apache and mysql services are not setup to start automatically but use a start/stop tool like wamp does, you could possibly have them both installed on the same machine.

You would not be able to run the apache and mysql from both system at the same time, but if you remember to stop AppServs services before starting WAMPs you may be able to get away with it.

wamp, by default, keeps its mysql databases in a folder under the mysql it installs, and everything is under the c:\wamp folder, so the 2 file areas should not effect each other.

You may even be able to run AppServ's mysql and Wamps Apache so you can still access your existing databases without a backup and restrore into the wamp mysql.

Of course all this depends upon your knowledge of how Apache,MySQL,PHP actually work.

In summary, there seems no good reason for using both systems. Can I suggest you backup your databases, install wamp, restore your databases to the wamp system and then remove appserv

Posted by: maxomenos (---.186-190-160.nodosud.com.ar)
Date: March 25, 2013 05:00PM

Hi RiggsFolly,

Thanks for your help.

Indeed appserv installed in C: \ AppServ therefore also installed wamp in the directory itself if there is no risk of overwriting the appserv databases.

Moreover appserv've configured to start manually (not when you start the operating system), so that using wamp and appserv not simultaneously there would be problems.

I make two query:

When installed wamp configuado is to be initiated manually or you have to change the settings?
It is essential to install Visual C + + 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package x86 or x64 on my computer because I have the version 2008?.

Again thank you very much.

regards

Max

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: March 25, 2013 08:52PM

WampServer installs everything in C:\wamp so unlikely to be a conflict

Apache installs as a service called 'wampapache' and mysql installs as a service called 'wampmysql' so also probably no conflict

Both services are started/stopped by a system tray app manually.

Yes you do have to install Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package x86 or x64 it is an upgrade to the 2008 and Apache or the wampmanager uses it, cant remember which one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.