DEVELOPER: PLS FIX no autostart
Posted by: Kirk Fraser (209.34.136.---)
Date: March 21, 2013 01:27PM

WAMP always turns off and stays off when Microsoft sends an update. Software like TeamViewer restarts itself automatically which is the only way I can turn WAMP back on at a remote location. Please fix WAMP so it will also restart automatically. I prefer to have my webpages up all the time. Thanks.

Please inform me when this update is available. I tried applying some autostart instructions via WinXP manually but they did not work. Also shutting off Microsoft updates does not work - Microsoft supplies its own virus code to make computers degrade with various errors if they don't receive updates for a long term.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DEVELOPER: PLS FIX no autostart
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2013 05:24PM

We're not going to change this for that reason.

Wamp is not set to autos tart by default so we won't be adding a check.
Also windows doesn't add any sort of virus code... Myths

What u can do is write a simple batch file to check the services and reset to auto if changed. The problem here is that windows uses the port for something else on update so u really need to have the batch disable those things.

Wamp is not going to start modifying Windows's services to keep it running.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: March 21, 2013 06:21PM

> We're not going to change this for that reason.

What is "that" reason? Why change anything then?

> Also windows doesn't add any sort of virus code... Myths

That is highly unlikely but possible. I've definitely experienced degrading performance when updates are off on Win Vista without doubt and probably on Win XP. The Win Vista machine which reported all sorts of problems eventually degrading to Blue Screen, miraculously operates normally after being allowed to get updates. That could be explained some other way, but calling this explination a myth is not proof.

Also, you may have been priviledged to have no experience with Microsoft's wrath when modifying older systems.
0) Years ago I was helping a family add memory to a PC Jr. which Microsoft didn't like causing it to try to delete a bunch of files. Fortunately it was so slow I was able to physically stop it in time.
1) Last summer I moved my Win Vista computer to another location. Apparently sensing the change in connected peripherals it decided to ask for the original disk of Microsoft Word, which has been operating without problems for years. I keep the original disk for Vista in the drive since it asks for that often. When I didn't immediately supply the Word disk, it not only disabled Word, it also disabled the print spooler so it couldn't print from any program.
2) Recently I had a Win XP computer with a video problem possibly due to no Microsoft updates and I tried to reload XP. When I selected repair instead, it asked some question I apparently interpreted differently than Microsoft and it proceeded to delete enough drivers to disable all access to the disk drive.
3) Just this month I lost an OpenOffice file when I installed a starter version of a Microsoft product. It took control of OpenOffice extensions yet couldn't read them, somehow deleting one I had open in Win 7.

> What u can do is write a simple batch file to check the services and reset to auto if changed. The problem here is that windows uses the port for something else on update so u really need to have the batch disable those things.

How does one know what to check, disable, and reset as well as how to check and reset them?

> Wamp is not going to start modifying Windows's services to keep it running.

Why not? Don't you believe it is important to users to have webpages online without having to check often? Tell my innocent friend Tom Kelly in prison you don't care for his plight enough www.freetom.info

Date: March 21, 2013 06:55PM

"How does one know what to check, disable, and reset as well as how to check and reset them? "

this is my point exactly - We cant tell either. We would need to change many things to ensure wamp can have the ports for use. Its not the standard behaviour for a program to modify windows components.

It may suit you to disable it, but many others would not agree.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: March 21, 2013 08:06PM

> We would need to change many things to ensure wamp can have the ports for use.

So doing the work needed to bring it up to TeamViewer's reliable perfomance is too much for your team?

> Its not the standard behaviour for a program to modify windows components.

Ah, perhaps you should not consider WAMP a standard program but a modification to the OS. Standard programs include office programs like word processors which spend more of their time off than the OS. WAMP is not a standard program. It should not go off except in rare emergencies.

I think that few would disagree, especially among forum participants and other serious users.

Posted by: Mastacheata (---.unitymediagroup.de)
Date: March 21, 2013 09:58PM

Kirk Fraser Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ah, perhaps you should not consider WAMP a
> standard program but a modification to the OS.
> Standard programs include office programs like
> word processors which spend more of their time off
> than the OS. WAMP is not a standard program. It
> should not go off except in rare emergencies.
>
> I think that few would disagree, especially among
> forum participants and other serious users.

A Webserver with PHP and MySQL bundled is definitely a development and tryout only software. As this is an Open Source project by a rather small group of people compared to the huge communities over at ApacheFriends (XAMPP) one should not expect performance and stability like in commercial software that pays the developers or like in huge communities where there are enough developer resources to fix even small annoyances.

If you are running a production website on a software like this and don't have the knowledge to configure Apache PHP and MySQL yourself, you should probably not run that website in the first place.

Date: March 21, 2013 10:07PM

Teamviewer doesn't rely on port 80, if port 80 is in use , Teamviewer chooses another port.

A web server must use port 80 to work usefully on the web. If Microsoft decide they want port 80 for a service , they can do that, they take the port before services start so there isn't an option their that will reliably work, the only way would be to forcibly stop anything we know that night use it from using it, which is not going to happen to the default wamp package.

Like I said , you can configure wamp to run a script on startup to do this , but it won't be included in wamp. Wamp is primarily a testing server on localhost. Alot of people don't even use it on port 80.

As the project is open source, your more that welcome to build an Addon that supports this and have it install onto the menu if they want this "greedy" port option

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2013 10:08PM by stevenmartin99.

Posted by: sTimulated (---.plus.com)
Date: March 22, 2013 12:45PM

Are you wanting to have wamp startup on every boot/reboot?

Date: March 22, 2013 03:42PM

No he already has that.

On a rare Ocassion Microsoft release an update
Which takes the port 80and he wants wamp to modify windows to stop this happening!!!

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: March 22, 2013 04:41PM

Kirk,

Hang on guys,
I am afraid I dont know the answer here but this sounds a little fishy.

If the microsoft update process demands port 80 and/or 443 how does a server running IIS cope with updates. IIS also require port 80 and 443 to communicate with the web, its just another web server afterall.

Either there is a documented way of configuring microsoft updates to use other ports OR there is another way of applying updates on a server (hardware) running a web server.

I have to say that running any kind of software update on any kind of mission critical server without any pre-checking sounds like something you would not want to do in a properly managed server environment anyway.

Try looking over the microsoft msdn site for some help or documentation, there must be a way of doing this and it is not going to be changing Apache or Wamp.

Date: March 22, 2013 04:47PM

It generally is IIS or a component of ISS that gets enabled from the update.

And your absolutly correct. Updates are turned off on critical operation machines.All updates are tested for effects in a sandbox/ duplicate test server before patching live machines.

Often updates are not suitable and have to be patched manually to keep the server up to date with out causing service issues.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.