Win7 users getting browser errors
Posted by: miseleigh (---.public.wayport.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 03:49PM

I run a small network on a WAMP server and some of the users have been getting browser errors. It only happens to Windows 7 users, though I don't know if it's all the Win7 users or just some of them. They're getting "Page cannot be displayed" in IE8 & 9, and "The connection was interrupted" in Firefox 3.

I'm new here, and not sure this is the right place to ask, so I apologize if it's not in line with this forum. I'm just completely out of ideas. Turning off the users' firewall didn't help, nor did enabling automatic redirect in IE9. I also followed the solutions found here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884488) and made sure that all our directory links were correct (for a while we had Apache redirecting users with a case-insensitive directory listing, but that should no longer be happening.) They do not have any proxies set either, and their DNS settings are correct.

Note that these users can reach all splash pages allowed internally on the network. It's not until they try to log in through our WAMP server, which allows access to the WAN, that they start having issues.

I know this is not enough information for a difficult issue, but I would love any help you can direct my way. Please ask for any further information I can provide. I don't even know where to start looking anymore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Win7 users getting browser errors
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 03:53PM

Have a look at the APache Error log.

Paste a few errors here for us to take a look, I have an idea what may be happening but that would help id the problem if it is what I think

Date: March 06, 2013 04:44PM

The only errors I see are "file does not exist" errors looking for images. I guess Apple has a broken link somewhere.

[Tue Mar 05 21:01:52 2013] [error] [client redacted] File does not exist: C:/OpenSA/Apache2/htdocs/apple-touch-icon-precomposed.png
[Tue Mar 05 21:01:52 2013] [error] [client redacted] File does not exist: C:/OpenSA/Apache2/htdocs/apple-touch-icon.png

Many of these, unfortunately. Maybe I'll just go find those and put them in my htdocs folder smiling smiley

Not relevant to the log in errors, though. I don't see any errors that could be related.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 05:01PM

Has someting changed recently that may have caused the browser cache etc to get confused. If you do a CTRL+F5 on one of the users browsers that is getting the problem, does it go away??

Date: March 06, 2013 05:11PM

Unfortunately I'm not on-site to be able to test it directly, but most of these users have been on the network for the first time anyway, and we haven't made any changes to the server recently, so a cache issue seems unlikely. I will add that as a troubleshooting step for the next time I can talk to a user with this problem though. Thanks for the idea!

Posted by: zdy (27.17.16.---)
Date: March 07, 2013 04:10AM

I use multiple browsers, and I created a bash script that checks to see which browser is open and opens web pages in whatever browser is already open. I use Windows 7, so I run this script using Cygwin. I set the script as the default browser by editing the appropriate registry entries, so whenever any program tries to open a web page, it calls this script using Cygwin's "--login" parameter. The script works - pages get loaded in whatever browser is open. However, whenever the script is called by another program, I get the error message, "There was a problem sending the command to the program." The script works, but I get the error message anyway. This only happens when the script is called by another program - there's no error message if I run the script directly from the command line. www.cusabio.com/ELISA_Kit-84592

I don't know if the script is at fault, but here it is:

#! /bin/bash

if ps -W | grep -v grep | grep waterfox.exe >/dev/null
then
"/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Waterfox/waterfox.exe" -requestPending -osint -url "$1"
elif ps -W | grep -v grep | grep firefox.exe >/dev/null
then
"/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/Mozilla Firefox/firefox.exe" -requestPending -osint -url "$1"
elif ps -W | grep -v grep | grep chrome.exe >/dev/null
then
"/cygdrive/c/Users/Morgan/AppData/Local/Google/Chrome/Application/chrome.exe" -- "$1"
else
cygstart "/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Waterfox/waterfox.exe" -requestPending -osint -url "$1"
fi
exit

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.