Orange Icon - Server Offline
Posted by: sanjaypoyzer (---.zone16.bethere.co.uk)
Date: February 28, 2013 10:15PM

Just installed WAMP for the first time (previously a MAMP user) and as I understand the thing is supposed to just work.. But it doesn't.

I've restarted all services, but somehow something is missing. The localhost page isn't found at all.

Apologies if there is a basic troubleshooting list that I've missed somewhere but I have looked and I can't find one.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Orange Icon - Server Offline
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: March 01, 2013 12:57AM

if icon is orange then Apache has probably not started.

this is usually because port 80 has been grabbed by another process.

Check, do you have IIS running is yes then uninstall it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2013 01:02AM by RiggsFolly.

Posted by: Hwulex (208.181.190.---)
Date: March 03, 2013 01:14AM

Your WAMP icon is staying orange because one of the processes is not starting, likely Apache, and mostly likely because there is a port conflict as all web-servers by default will listen on port 80. However, it is not necessary to uninstall IIS to make WAMP work, you can simply tell it to listen on a different port.

Left-click on your WAMP icon > Apache > httpd.conf

In this file, on line 58, there is "Listen 80". Simply change this value to another free port, and I would suggest using 8080, meaning that line should read "Listen 8080". You can pick another number but be aware that many ports are reserved and you may encounter the same problem so 8080 is a good bet.

You will then need to restart your WAMP server

WAMP icon > Restart all services

Now open, in your web browser, [localhost] and your status page should load

Hope this helps.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 11:33AM

Using Apache on a non standard port number is quite possible but not recommended.

If you are not using IIS uninstall it, you can re-install later if you actually wamt it.

Alternatively you can disable the services used by IIS while you are developing using Apache and then re-enable them when you want to go back to IIS development.
If you have no intension of using IIS and dont know how to use it, uninstall it as it is using resources on you PC for no purpose and providing another attach vector that you will not be able to manage securely.

What you need to look for when uninstalling or disabling you may have all of these or just a subset.

1. IIS itself
2. Web Deploy 2.0
3. MS Sql Server Reporting service.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.