creating 'super user' for MySQL
Posted by: webwannabee (38.108.87.---)
Date: February 28, 2013 06:08PM

Ok, here's a real newb question bare with me smiling smiley I am just tying to develop some sites with Joomla, so have wampserver installed on my laptop for now. I wanted to upgrade the MySQL version from 5.5.24 to 5.6.10. At the end of the steps (from your MySQL totorial on here) I got error codes suggesting I need super user powers.. My question, should start all over, uninstall and install WAMP. ( I only have a few web installs, a few databases with hardly any content from me so not a loss). Then I should go to PHPadmin, and to MySQL and create a super user with password and everything. I am assuming that this user will have control over the whole MySQL. I did create databases for each website and a password to go along, and a user for each one. But as far as the MySQL itself, left the user to 'root' and no password. Is that where I made the mistake? I'm not totally clear on all this sorry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: creating 'super user' for MySQL
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: March 01, 2013 01:50PM

You did ok so far, but what you need to do is:-

The MySQL users you created for each of your projects was a great idea, but for the duration of the install you need to give them all the privilages you can. During the install they will need to create tables etc that is usually
done by an admin or super user.

So start by going to phpMyAdmin and adding all privilages to these users.

Run the install.

Then you can go back into phpMyAdmin and remove all the extra privilages needed to do the initial setup, leaving the users with the standard SELECT,INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE etc

Posted by: webwannabee (---.dynamic.tbaytel.net)
Date: March 01, 2013 09:40PM

Thank you for your patience RiggsFolly. I know I can do it if I just keep at it lol I am starting all over again. I wiped out the wamp folder, and installed wamp all over again. There are no projects or users or anything, just the users wamp came with as in root@localhost, root at 127.1 etc, and root @ 1 then opened the command prompt as administrator and navigated to the new folder (I put the new folder, mysql5.6.10 beside the 5.5.24 folder in wamp\bin\mysql.... I did the other steps too like copy the 5.5.24 data folder into the data folder of teh upgrade. I copied the config file into it. I refreshed the wamp. THEN I went to phpmmyadmin and clicked on the root user, the one @localhost, and clicked ALL the permissions (super was among them). I gave it a password. I have also tried this without a password assigned but get error messages either way. Here is an error message: warning using a password on the command line can be insecure Failed to set SQL_LOG_BIN=0 Error access denied: you need at least one of the super privileges for this operation. FATAL ERROR UPGRADE DENIED. I am so confused as I keep granting ALL privileges to root, I even created another user a few times and gave them all privileges, and a password but no matter what I do it does not work. Arrrrggghhhhh *also, I actually just want one user, a super user for the projects as I will be the only one developing about three websites. I thought I had to create a new user for each new database created with each project.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2013 09:42PM by webwannabee.

Date: March 01, 2013 10:47PM

'root' is by default a SUPER user.

It comes as the only userid and therefore would have to be a super user.

Ok, here we go!
When you copy the data folder and all its subfolder from Old to New version you are also copying the database that MySQL uses to hold its users and their passwords and privilages. You have to do this as the upgrade utility may need to apply upgrades to these tables as well as your data tables.

So whatever password ( or not ) was assigned to the Old 'root' userid is what you should use when you run the upgrade tool, assuming you didnt mess with the 'root' userid on the old version of MySQL.

Posted by: webwannabee (38.108.87.---)
Date: March 03, 2013 12:02AM

Thank you Riggs, I didn't know that. I did not assign a user id to the root when I was using the old mysql5.5.24. I have tried to do this numerous times, including trying using 'root' as the user id, and then just pressing 'enter' when prompted for a password after entering that line of code
mysql_upgrade -u[your MySQL admin userid] -p > upgrade_results.txt I entered it just like that assuming it was all one line and not two separate lines (myaql.. and then teh upgrade results...). I used root as the user id. I still get error messages about super privileges. I am at the point where I may start using screen shots to show what I may be doing wrong lol. Thanks for your patience and help!

Date: March 04, 2013 11:41AM

Ok lets try TeamViewer.

Using that I can watch what you are doing and help you through this.

Install TeamViewer, Run it, Send me a Private Message (dont post it here as anyone will be able to see it) with the ID and Password it gives you and I will be able to login to your system and watch.

Its free for casual use, and quite secure. Each time you run it it gives a new Password so I can only get in if you leave it runnning with the password you send me. Also of course that means I can only get in once.

I am available most of today, I am in the GMT timezone and I see you are in Canada somewhere so PM me when yo are ready.

Date: March 04, 2013 10:37PM

Thanks so much Riggs, I dont have internet at home right now so I use public wifi. Wish I'd come here earlier to see your post, I installed the teamViewer two hours ago and have been waiting to see you on here but you must be off now. Right now it is 4:36 pm here, if that helps. I will try to be on here when you are, possibly tomorrow? thanks.

Date: March 06, 2013 12:09AM

Thank you so much for all your help Riggs and spending so much time solving my problem smiling smiley This forum and the people in it are truly awesome. Installing wamperserver 32 bit instead of 64 bit and the php addon of 5.3.1 (down from the 5.4 version) seems to have done the trick. The joomla installs look ok now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.