default users
Posted by: phuckingsilk (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 10, 2013 10:39PM

Installed WAMP and it turned green right away. went into myphpmyadmin no problem, and changed the root password. then i couldn't get back in... went through all the configurations, changing the config, etc. didn't work. uninstalled, deleted the c:/wamp folder and reinstalled... still didn't work.

then suddenly it let me in. don't know why but it did. now i've ready there should only be one default user upon initial install, but i have all these listed:
User Host Password Global privileges Grant Action
Any % -- USAGE No Edit Privileges Export
Any localhost No USAGE No Edit Privileges Export
root 127.0.0.1 No ALL PRIVILEGES Yes Edit Privileges Export
root ::1 No ALL PRIVILEGES Yes Edit Privileges Export
root localhost Yes ALL PRIVILEGES Yes Edit Privileges Export

should i delete them, and if so, how do i do it?

thanks

tad

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: default users
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: February 11, 2013 10:55AM

tad,

Point 1.
A MySQL user is associated with an ipaddress Usually.

So if you have a user tad, lets say he is setup to be allowed in from his office ip and his home ip. He will not be allowed in from his mothers ip address when he goes to visit her.

'root' userid, the default admin super user id.
root 127.0.0.1 No ALL PRIVILEGES Yes Edit Privileges Export
root ::1 No ALL PRIVILEGES Yes Edit Privileges Export
root localhost Yes ALL PRIVILEGES Yes Edit Privileges Export

Is setup to be allowed access from ipaddress's 127.0.0.1 (thats localhost on IPV4 address range )
Is setup to be allowed access from ipaddress's ::1 (thats localhost on IPV6 address range )
Is setup to be allowed access from locahost (a domain name that may or maynot be setup in your HOSTS file)

So thats ONE user allowed in from more than one place.

Any % -- USAGE No Edit Privileges Export
Any localhost No USAGE No Edit Privileges Export

This is allowing Any user NO ACCESS AT ALL.

When you change the password on the 'root' userid you then have to tell everything that uses MySQL via that userid what the new password is. So in your case when trying to use phpMyAdmin, once you have change the password on ALL 3 version of the single 'root' userid you have to go to this file and add the password to the config of phpMyAdmin

c:\wamp\apps\phpmyadmin3.x.y\config.inc.php

Change
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = '';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowNoPassword'] = true;

TO

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = 'ADD NEW PASSWORD IN HERE';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowNoPassword'] = false; <- change to false, access without a password id no longer allowed

Then when you use phpMyAdmin the next time it will know the password for the 'root' userid.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.