Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
installing wamp
Posted by: rjpagesr (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2012 07:55PM

I downloaded wamp install from [www.wampserver.com]. I installed it in C:/program files/wamp.
Upon examining that folder I find a number of files including wampmanger.exe. I also have a folder called .....www in which I find index.php and testmysql.php. I have the green icon in the task manager.

When I click on localhost or phpmyadmin, I get an error message that I don't have permission to access this server. I AM the system admin, so I tried downloading again, this time making sure that when I ran the installation that I was running it as the admin. Same results. What am I doing wrong?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: installing wamp
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: February 29, 2012 01:28AM

Check out this post.

http://forum.wampserver.com/read.php?2,81975

Look at point one i think that will probably be your problem!

Date: February 29, 2012 10:48PM

I read point #1

"1. apache gives a 403 Forbidden error.
Symptom: Look at Apache Access log ( from Wamp manager link ) if it is showing the IP address as ::1 instead of 127.0.0.1 this is the solution.

Problem is that the [HOSTS] file on Vista and W7 has a reference to IPV6 localhost as follows :-
::1 localhost

FIX: If you remove that entry and restart the DNS Client service it will be solved. "

I found my apache access log and it appears that the IP address is ::1.
This is indeed a Vista system.

After much searching, I did find a file called hosts, of type file, buried deep within C:\windows\winsxs
It claims to be a sample HOSTS file, there are 2 entries in it the 1st being the 127 entry mentioned above followed by an entry with ::1.

So I figured, comment out the ::1 entry. When I tried to save it, I got an error that I can not create the file. I checked the attributes on that file and nothing was checked (such as read-only). Is this what I want to do?

Date: February 29, 2012 11:04PM

Yes thats what you should do.

The HOSTS file is protected by the Windows OS.

You have to 'Run as Administrator' to be able to save it.

I usually just right click my editor icon and do a run as administrator, or you can run a cmd window 'as administrator' cd into the windows/system32/drivers/etc folder OR your windows/winsxs folder and then launch your editor from within the command window.

Sorry didnt know Windows 8 had changed the folder structure, I have not played with it yet.

Posted by: drbob01 (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: February 29, 2012 11:46PM

I did everything you said and when I tried to log into localhost, the directory "wordpress' gives me" Error establishing a database connection"!!!! ARRRGH!!!!!

I need help!
Thanks sooo much!!!

Date: March 01, 2012 01:19AM

Forgive my stupidity, but I haven't had to run a cmd window for at least 10 years. Even though I AM the administrator, I can't figure out how to run any editor (such as Notepad) as admin. Many years ago you could log in as admin but that feature seems to have disappeared. I have had an occasion when a particular action required admin privledges and when prompted in this way I just acknowledged that and continued on and all was ok. For the life of me, I can't seem to edit this file as admin.

Date: March 01, 2012 01:34AM

I finally figured it out!! It was a bit convoluted but I went to the file, changed ownership of the file (since I am the admin, I can do that) and successfully edited the file. I then ran wampmanger, got the green light and tried both localhost and phpadmin and both look like they are working.

Thanks

Date: March 01, 2012 10:57AM

Apology accepted. I am glad you got it working.

For future reference or for anyone how looks at this thread in the future, to run something with "run as Administrator" rights do this:-

ON VISTA & WINDOWS 7:
Find the icon of the app you want to run, on desktop or in the All Programs list.

Right click the icon, or in some cases Shift and right click the icon and you will see a drop down menu.

On there is an option to "Run as Administrator", with a security icon next to it, just above "Run as Different User".

Click that and you will be given the UAC window asking to be allowed to elivate the apps priviliges or be asked for the Administrator password if you are running as on a user account.

PS
That file has the special access rights it has for security reasons, so that a malicious program cannot add redirections into it.
If you think about what it does i.e. redirect url names to ip address's if you put an entry in there like this

256.256.256.256 wampserver.com

Then whenever you key wampserver.com into your browser you will be sent to the new ipaddress, which could be a great way to get you to download something that has been compromised with virus's.

Date: March 02, 2012 10:25PM

From the wampserver menu I successfully run 'localhost' & 'phpmyadmin'. As mentioned above my wamp directory is

C:/program files/wamp.

My root directory should be C:/program files/wamp/www

I put my test script 'testing.html' in C:/program files/wamp/www

According to the book that I am learning about php, etc from, typing into my browser
[localhost] should run that script. Instead, it just opens it like an editor. I have searched my C: drive for anything that might suggest my root directory is somewhere with no luck. What am I doing wrong?

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2012 10:27PM

OPEN YOUR WEB BROWSER...

type in HTTP:/ /localhost /testing.html

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: March 02, 2012 10:34PM

In httpd.conf there is a variable called DocumentRoot, this defines the default location for your website.
Find yours from wamp manager -> apache -> httpd.conf

It looks like this

DocumentRoot "D:/wamp/www/"

In my case I installed wamp on the D; drive and that is where the root directory of the website is.

If the web site is just thowing your php script back to the browser I believe you have may have done this:

If you call your script index.html apache will just return that file to the browser.

If you call your script index.php (note the extension), apache passes the script to PHP for compilation and execution. PHP then passes the results back to apache, and apache them send what ever it recieves from PHP to the browser.

So change index.html to index.php and it will probably work.

Date: March 02, 2012 11:17PM

I found httpd.conf and checked DocumentRoot.

It was an EXACT match for what I expected for the root directory. What do I do now?

I also tried typing into my browser just 'localhost'

that gave me the wampserver homepage

Date: March 02, 2012 11:29PM

What about the second part of the post.

Did you change the name of your test script to testing.php?

Date: March 02, 2012 11:33PM

I tried renaming to testing.php, exactly the results.

Date: March 02, 2012 11:46PM

Not sure what that meant!

Lets reset. What is the issue now.

Date: March 02, 2012 11:49PM

Per your suggestion to change the filename to testing.php.

Date: March 03, 2012 12:06AM

OK, can you post the php script you are trying to run. And what appears on the screen.

Date: March 03, 2012 12:25AM

The same thing as testing.html, it opens the file as if I were editing it.

Date: March 03, 2012 12:39AM

OK,

copy and paste this code into a file in the www directory and call it aaa.php

<?php
echo 'Hello world';
?>

Then enter
[localhost]
into your browser.

Do you see the text "Hello World"?

Date: March 03, 2012 12:59AM

At the moment my wampserver seems to be down. Earlier, while waiting for a reply, I found a reference to doc_root in php.ini (as opposed to DocumentRoot) which I edited to the aforemention www directory. That seems to have broken the wamp. Will get back to you when I have it fixed.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.