Cannot access sql db remotely
Posted by: Xious (---.wsmr.army.mil)
Date: February 21, 2012 11:04PM

I have installed the latest WAMPServer x64. Everything works perfectly as far as the localhost goes. I can browse to the site on the server, update databases, run queries, etc.

However, I am trying to use a program that is not on the server that is attempting to write entries into a SQL database on the server. Every time I attempt to connect to the server sql db's, the software gives me the following error message:

(provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

I have scoured the internet trying to figure out how to fix it, but everything I find is based off of Microsoft SQL Server. I cannot find anything on how to solve the issue with WAMP. Can anyone help me out here?

X

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cannot access sql db remotely
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: February 29, 2012 03:42AM

Ok a couple of pointer that might help.

1. MySQL would have to be configured to use TCP/IP and not Named Pipes if you want to access a MySQL database from a remote PC and by remote I mean any ipaddress other than localhost. It looks like you are using named pipes which are in for local access only ( named pipes are shared memory and therefore only usable on the same physical PC )

2. The userid/password you are using from the remote PC to login to the MySQL server would have to be setup to allow access from a remote IP, by default they are not ( its a security thing ).
( see mysql manual for how to setup users for remote access)

3. You are most likely going to have to configure the windows firewall ( or other if you use something else ) to allow remote access to the port mysql is listening on 3306 by default, you may have changed it, its configurable.

Posted by: Xious (---.hsd1.nm.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2012 05:00AM

I appreciate the reply.

It ended up being that the program I was using is only compatible with MSSQL and not MYSQL. I had already set it up for TCP/IP, already set up the correct privileges, and already set an exception in my firewall. I was racking my brain why it wasn't working. But I finally got in touch with the developer and he said he didn't support MYSQL. But thanks for the help.

X

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: March 04, 2012 01:05PM

Have a look at MySQL Workbench.

Its free and very good. Link below.

[www.mysql.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.