The Apache service won't start
Posted by: seona (---.lns4.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 10, 2012 12:18PM

Hi all,

I've just downloaded WampServer 64-bit and installed it, but haven't been able to get it to run. Here are the steps I've gone through and the error I encountered at each step. Hopefully someone will be able to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

1. Click tray icon and select "Put online"

Error:
Could not execute menu item (internal error)
[Exception] Could not perform service action:
The service has not been started

-----------------

2. Click tray icon and select "Restart all services"

Result: Icon turned red for a moment, then back to orange. Trying step 1 again yielded the same results.

-----------------

3. Open the Services Manager and find that while the "wampmysqld" service is started the "wampapache" service isn't. Click "Start the service".

Error:
Windows could not start the wampapache on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-spectific error code 1.

-----------------

4. Open the System Event log and look at the most recent error.

General:
The wampapache service terminated with service-specific error Incorrect function..

Details:
<Event xmlns="[schemas.microsoft.com];
<System>
<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7024</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-01-10T10:51:37.608981800Z" />
<EventRecordID>86409</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="660" ThreadID="6728" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>seona-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">wampapache</Data>
<Data Name="param2">%%1</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

-----------------

5. Search on this forum to see if anyone else has had this problem. Find this thread:
[forum.wampserver.com]
Try suggestion in third post of manually running httpd.exe from the command line.

Error:
(OS 10013)An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its acces
s permissions. : make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80
(OS 10013)An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its acces
s permissions. : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
no listening sockets available, shutting down
Unable to open logs

-----------------

6. Decide that I'm horribly confuzzled and write this post hoping that someone can explain to me (in simple terms, preferably) what's going on here.

So, anyone able to help me out?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Apache service won't start
Posted by: IrishDave (109.125.24.---)
Date: January 10, 2012 05:56PM

Seona,

I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you, but I've actually experienced a similar issue. I haven't gone through the further steps that you have, as I'm not sure how to go about that. But I installed wamp64 on Win7, and went through steps 1+2 several times. I have uninstalled it twice, and have even tried installing it in a different folder. But I keep receiving the same error message -

Error:
Could not execute menu item (internal error)
[Exception] Could not perform service action:
The service has not been started

So I'd be just as eager as you to find a solution that would work.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can give direction on this ! !

David

Posted by: iSwordfish (---.027-84-73746f30.cust.bredbandsbolaget.se)
Date: January 11, 2012 11:00AM

I had the same problem, (service couldn't start) and localhost was only a white blansk screen.
I closed skype and after that it worked.. look att this: [befused.com]

Posted by: IrishDave (109.125.55.---)
Date: January 11, 2012 11:20AM

Hey,

Thanks for that. I lost a lot of time yesterday messing with that, but now it's working perfectly =)

Thanks again,

David

Date: January 11, 2012 11:21AM

Thanks for the suggestion, but I just checked and Skype wasn't running to begin with. sad smiley Wish it was - that would have been an easy fix.

Any other ideas about what I can try? This is seriously frustrating.

Posted by: adamwydeman (---.lnse2.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 11, 2012 01:52PM

something else is using Port 80.

1. go to Start -> CMD (open your Command Prompt)
2. type netstat –o and press enter
3. You will see a whole lot of IP addresses followed by a :80
4. in the last column, you'll see a number (PID), take note of the number for each one of the instances
5. open Windows Task Manager
6. click Processes
7. Click View -> Select Columns
8. Check PID
9. Press OK
10. click the newly created PID column and end each process that relates to the PID in your Command Prompt search
11. note the names of the programs, so you know which programs need to be closed before starting WAMP
12. Exit and Restart your WAMP server
13. You can now connect and safely restart the programs you have just terminated in Windows Task Manager.

Good Luck!

Date: January 14, 2012 01:37AM

Hi Adam,

Thanks for that list. I ran netstat and it returned a great big list of IPs but none of them were followed by a :80. The ports I got are:

:5354
:9953
:12080 (lots of these)
:19872
:27105

And then a whole bunch in the 49000-54000 range.

So I'm not sure if I should be stopping these anyway, or if this is telling me that a port 80 conflict isn't the cause of my woes. What do you think?

Date: January 14, 2012 01:56AM

Addendum to my last message.

I found the option under WampServer > Apache > Service >Test Port 80. This game me the following message:

-------------
Your port 80 is actually used by :

Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.5
-------------

So I had a look under Windows Services and I can't find a place to stop IIS. I found a service called "IIS Admin" but stopping that didn't seem to help.

It makes sense that IIS would be the service sitting on port 80. I don't want to just uninstall it because I do other work that I require IIS for. Is there a simpleway that I can turn it on and off went I want to use WampServer?

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.srl.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 08:51AM

stop the service "Web deploy"

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Posted by: seona (---.lnse5.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 14, 2012 10:39PM

Thanks. I couldn't find "Web deploy" but it set me on the right track for where to look. Turns out the IIS service I needed to stop was "World Wide Web Publishing Service". So it looks like I'll be stopping that every time I want to run WampServer, which is a pain but doable.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, guys!

Date: January 14, 2012 10:48PM

if you dont use this service... then disable it

right click it> properties> change automatic or manual to disabled.

or change it to delayed start

and then change wamps apache service "wampapache" to automatic which will give it port 80

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Posted by: seona (---.lnse5.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 15, 2012 01:17AM

The trouble is that I do use it (as the vehicle for my ColdFusion development work) at least as often as I'm likely to need WampServer for PHP development. So it's going to have to be a manual process one way or the other. smiling smiley

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Date: January 15, 2012 08:16AM

In these situations I make a bat file that will stop the service and then start wampserver and replace it or link it with the wampserver shortcut

In wampmanager.tpl u can change the exit process which stops the two wamp services and you could add in a line to restart the publishing service smiling smiley

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Posted by: coultonluke (146.90.210.---)
Date: September 25, 2012 10:00PM

I had this problem and it was Skype. As soon as I shut that down, it worked again smiling smiley

Posted by: priyeshkukreti (---.wnet.net.in)
Date: April 24, 2013 08:23AM

Thanks a lot !!...
I was having the same problem on Windows 7 and it worked by stopping the "World Wide Web Publishing Service". The port 80 was actually being used by IIS server.

Posted by: S3ssh (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: August 15, 2013 09:51AM

I had the exact same problem. I had to stop the 'Web Deployment Agent Service' for wampserver to work.

I also stopped Skype and ran the netstat -o command to make sure nothing else was using port 80.

The tool provided in WampServer > Apache > Service >Test Port 80 is very useful.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.ppp.as43234.net)
Date: August 15, 2013 10:08AM

S3ssh,

How to Configure SKYPE so it does not require port 80 or 443

Run SKYPE
then using the menus do this:

Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Connection

Un-Check the checkbox next to 'Use port 80 and 443 as alternatives for incomming connections'

Now restart SKYPE for these changes to take effect.

If you are running Windows 8 it comes with SKYPE aleardy installed as an App, this you cannot reconfigure as of the current time.
If thats the case you can uninstall the SKYPE App and then install traditional SKYPE ( but not as a W8 App ) then you can configure it as above.

Posted by: berry2012 (41.58.160.---)
Date: September 23, 2013 10:49AM

Hi,

First of all test which port is using port 80.
Wampserver >> Apache >> Service >> Test port 80

It will appear that other service is using port 80, commonly IIS.

Stop IIS service, i.e from start menu>> cmd >> services.msc >> right click world wide web publishing >> stop service.

Then start wampapache service from service management console.

Apache will be running on port 80.

If you also want to use world wide web publishing, you can enable NET TCP Port sharing from service mgmt console.

Hope this helps

Posted by: conetopia (216.226.81.---)
Date: September 24, 2013 09:10PM

iSwordfish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had the same problem, (service couldn't start)
> and localhost was only a white blansk screen.
> I closed skype and after that it worked.. look att
> this: [befused.com]

Skype uses Port 80 and or 8080
Thanks, I installed apache before, did a fresh install of win 7..
went to install apache, i've been trying to figure out why i couldn't get it to start for like 10 days now...
I didn't even realize or think about closing skype until I seen your reply lol.

Posted by: Rallyline (95.149.94.---)
Date: December 01, 2013 12:11AM

OK - I am no expert, but have been having this problem all day. I followed all of the above suggestions and nothing worked at all.

Apache would not start.

Nothing was using Port 80 (well it was originally, but following the above suggestions I stopped everything) I confirmed this by clicking on Wamp icon, then selecting 'apache', 'service' and then 'Test Port 80'. It told me that it wasn't being used by anything.

Trying to start it from the Service management console failed and it came up with an error.

Having exhausted everything, I decided to uninstall. I additionally deleted the WAMP folder and its contents from my drive and started all over again.

This time on install it asked me to set my default browser - which is Chrome. Not easy to find where that is installed as Google hides it away, but eventually found it in this location: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\

I then got a message saying that apache was being blocked by Windows Firewall! So this was obviously what was causing the problem.

It gave me the option to 'unblock' which I did - And woohoo - wamp completed the installation and immediately turned GREEN!!!!!!!!!!

I hope this solution saves someone from the pain I have gone through today, because I was on the point of giving up.

I'd appreciate it if it works for you if you could let me know.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.