WAMP MySQL password error
Posted by: BAJV (---.fm.shawcable.net)
Date: July 19, 2011 07:27PM

Hi all!

I've run into a rather annoying problem with MySQL that I'd hope you'd all be able to fix here.

I have installed WAMP on my system just fine, but I am unable to progress any further with anything because of a MySQL password barrier that pops up everywhere.

When I try to start MySQL, this error message pops up in the logs:

110719 10:41:26 [Note] Plugin 'FEDERATED' is disabled.
110719 10:41:26 InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 44233
110719 10:41:27 [ERROR] Do you already have another mysqld server running on port: 3306 ?
110719 10:41:27 [ERROR] Aborting

110719 10:41:27 InnoDB: Starting shutdown...
110719 10:41:32 InnoDB: Shutdown completed; log sequence number 0 44233
110719 10:41:32 [Note] wampmysqld: Shutdown complete

Localhost/testmysql ends up with

( ! ) Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: No such host is known. in C:\wamp\www\testmysql.php on line 2
Call Stack
# Time Memory Function Location
1 0.0015 673160 {main}( ) ..\testmysql.php:0
2 0.0015 673448 mysql_connect ( ) ..\testmysql.php:2

( ! ) Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: [2002] php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: No such host is kn (trying to connect via tcp://hostname:3306) in C:\wamp\www\testmysql.php on line 2
Call Stack

( ! ) Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: No such host is known. in C:\wamp\www\testmysql.php on line 2
Call Stack
Could not connect to MySQL: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: No such host is known.

phpmyadmin ends up with:

Error

MySQL said: Documentation
#1045 - Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in your configuration and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server.

And when I try to install Joomla, I get:

Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL

I tried resetting the password using [dev.mysql.com] as well as a complete reinstall of WAMP, but nothing seems to work.

So there you have it... there's a wrench in the spanner and I have no idea how on God's green Earth to fix it. I was hoping someone else here would be able to tell me where I'm going wrong.

Running WAMP 2.1 on Windows 7 64-bit with Service Pack 1 installed, with Apache 2.2.17, MySQL 5.1.53, php 5.3.4, and Joomla 1.5.23

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2011 07:34PM by BAJV.

Re: WAMP MySQL password error
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: July 20, 2011 03:26AM

Search and delete any php.ini, my.ini (or my.cnf, my.conf) file outside wamp folder; make sure to disable "Hide known extension..." before search

Download ResetMySQL here
[downloads.jlbn.net]

You should setup Backup right after setup Wamp successful, so you can go back if something wrong later
To setup Backup, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

To setup Password, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

To setup Joomla on Wamp, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: July 21, 2011 08:18PM

Thanks for the help, yfastud... however, your advice didn't end up doing anything here...

I did go through and make certain there were absolutely zero additional iterations of MySQL on this machine, including php.ini, my.ini, my.cnf, an my.conf outside of the WAMP folder. I then replaced the files, and went into phpmyadmin to change the two lines. Now, the WAMP server button is green, and I can connect to the mySQL console... however phpMyAdmin still shows the following:

Error

MySQL said: Documentation
Cannot connect: invalid settings.

and Joomla likewise will not install, saying:

Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL

I ran the test here: [www.abbeyworkshop.com] so it looks like MySQL is installed now and running as it should, but there is now a disconnect with phpMyAdmin (not really important) and Joomla (VERY important) that's preventing them from properly acessing MySQL as they should.

Anybody have any idea as to why this is?

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.srl.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: July 21, 2011 08:50PM

ill look at it using teamviewer if you link

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: July 21, 2011 08:53PM

Thank you very much, I'll shoot you off an e-mail posthaste here

Date: July 21, 2011 09:30PM

Problem has been solved, with many thanks towards Steven, who had a much clearer idea of what went wrong and spent only a fraction of time I did circling around lost!

Very much appreciated for all your help and efforts here, folks!

Date: July 21, 2011 11:30PM

Posted by: algbre (82.114.184.---)
Date: July 22, 2011 09:13PM

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'TYPE=MyISAM CHARACTER SET `utf8`' at line 29 SQL=CREATE TABLE `jos_banner` ( `bid` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment, `cid` int(11) NOT NULL default '0', `type` varchar(30) NOT NULL default 'banner', `name` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', `alias` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', `imptotal` int(11) NOT NULL default '0', `impmade` int(11) NOT NULL default '0', `clicks` int(11) NOT NULL default '0', `imageurl` varchar(100) NOT NULL default '', `clickurl` varchar(200) NOT NULL default '', `date` datetime default NULL, `showBanner` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0', `checked_out` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0', `checked_out_time` datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00', `editor` varchar(50) default NULL, `custombannercode` text, `catid` INTEGER UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, `description` TEXT NOT NULL DEFAULT '', `sticky` TINYINT(1) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, `ordering` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, `publish_up` datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00', `publish_down` datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00', `tags` TEXT NOT NULL DEFAULT '', `params` TEXT NOT NULL DEFAULT '', PRIMARY KEY (`bid`), KEY `viewbanner` (`showBanner`), INDEX `idx_banner_catid`(`catid`) ) TYPE=MyISAM CHARACTER SET `utf8`

Posted by: iLucato (---.virtua.com.br)
Date: August 03, 2011 10:35AM

BAJV, how was it solved? Share it with folks having the same issue like me :0)

Date: August 04, 2011 01:47AM

In Joomla folder, open file joomla.sql and find
TYPE=MyISAM
Replace w/
ENGINE=MyISAM
To setup Joomla on Wamp, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: August 04, 2011 07:58PM

It appears it wasn't, as I'm back to having similar issues again. It looks like the fix done only held for a little while, before it somehow reset and locked me out of everything, so I'm back to square 0...

Well, okay... not really square 0, as I can still start up my server and run everything, but I cannot access anything mysql-related, including wamp moduels such as sqlbuddy, phpmyadmin, and the MySQL console. My previous password fails to work, leading me to belive that somehow my machine has a default password that it continually restores back to every so often. I don't know how to fix this problem...

Does anyone know in which files the passwords for localhost are stored? Maybe I can go into there and manually change them myself instead of relying on automated scripts and the like which are not working at all.

I actually maged to get Joomla set up when I had access to MySQL, so that's not an issue, I can work on that no problem. But for future projects requiring MySQL, this will be a real headache...

EDIT: OKAY! For some reason now, and I swear I touched nothing other than restarting the computer, now the WAMP MySQL Console has decided to work with my previous password. However, sqlbuddy and phpmyadmin still tell me that the password is wrong. Seems like the left hand doesn't realize what in the Nine Hells the right hand is doing...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2011 08:36PM by BAJV.

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.srl.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: August 04, 2011 08:17PM

teamviewer?

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: August 04, 2011 08:40PM

Stent you off the e-mail Steven...

Hopefully this time will be easier than the last...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.