computer crashed tranferring site and new installation of wamp
Posted by: rosefam6 (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: September 18, 2010 01:07AM

Help!

My computer that I was working on crashed. Luckily I installed wamp, my site and all my files on an external hard drive. I plugged the external hard drive into my laptop, and I realized that it would not recognize my old computer's installation of wamp. I have already created a database with it in PHPMyAdmin.

I installed a second installation of wamp and defined it as my testing server in Dreamweaver. I uploaded my site to the new root of Wamp2. But now, it doesn't see my old database. Where is my old database stored in my old installation of wamp so I could load it into my new installation of PHPMyAdmin.

How could I make my new computer recognize my old installation of wamp?

Please help me!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: computer crashed tranferring site and new installation of wamp
Posted by: cheeseus (88.87.2.---)
Date: September 18, 2010 01:22AM

I am currently having a similar issue and instead of opening a new thread I will state my problem here - maybe your solution will also apply for me.

My PC died - motherboard problem and now I am actually buying a new PC. I still have my installation of WAMP with all files and most importantly - databases, located in:
---- wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.0.51b\data

The million dollar question is, how do I make a new installation of the latest version of WAMP on a Windows 7 OS (was XP previously) and be able to use my old databases? Will just copying the folders & files to the same location on the new installation do the job?

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras2.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: September 18, 2010 01:41AM

best to copy the entire wamp folder...

then run the wampmanager.exe

it should open..

left click wamp icon> apache>services>install
left click wamp icon> mysql>services>install

see if that will get the server running..

then ud be best to export ur databases in sql format using phpmyadmin...

keep those sql files safe, keep ur www safe and delete the wamp u just copied..

download wamp again, install, move ur www in place and import ur sql files..

Wamp has some registry entries so you are best to actually install again like i described above

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: September 18, 2010 03:13AM

That's why I often, if not always, recommend to backup wamp when it's in excellent running state, so you never have to run into these issue ever winking smiley

To setup Backup, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: September 18, 2010 10:21AM

"then run the wampmanager.exe --- it should open..."

I can't do this. When I try to start wampmanager.exe Windows shows a warning that the program is not compatible (the machine is now x64 whereas the previous machine had XP x86). It also says "contact the software publisher".

Any other suggestions?

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.251.255.15.threembb.ie)
Date: September 18, 2010 12:35PM

Ul need to move the folder into he program files x86 folder or else copy it to a 32 bit machine

Wamp does run on 64 bit machines when installed

If none of these options work I can tell u how to install the mysql service manually and then u can use mysqldump to export

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: September 18, 2010 01:45PM

Hi Stevenmartin99, thanks for the advice. I have moved the wamp folder to Program Files (x86) but I get the same error message. I do not have a 32-bit machine.

After that I tried making a fresh installation of wampserver. After I disabled Skype from using port 80 I was able to start wamp normally. Then I copied the old DATA folder containing the DB files to the new location and now wamp won't fully start (hangs in the yellow section).

Localhost does open but when I click PhpMyAdmin, the browser hangs while "loading" and later loads a blank page.

Please advise of other actions to take.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2010 01:46PM by cheeseus.

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (151.71.14.---)
Date: September 18, 2010 06:03PM

are they different versoins of mysql?

how are the db files?

opt and ib_log or .frm .myi .myd files?

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: September 18, 2010 06:59PM

Actually mysql versions are different - my previous installation has mysql5.0.51b and the new installation has mysql5.1.36.

I am talking about the files found in the:
----------- wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.0.51b\data ----- folder

they are .frm , .MYD, .MYI files. And in each separate DB there is an "db.opt" file.

I really really need to get back the information stored in these DBs.

EDIT: I think I have found a way. I copied the .frm, .MYD and .MYI files in the respective DB (that I created manually) and after I hit refresh, the tables appeared. Some of them are damaged, and some of the tables are completely missing - it appears that during the file recovery process only the .FRM files were recovered, and if the other two are missing all the info id gone. And that's exactly the tables I don't have a backup of.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2010 08:04PM by cheeseus.

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: September 19, 2010 02:49AM

You had innodb which can NOT restore by copy and paste and that's why I often recommend to backup and setup to use myisam which runs faster than innodb and can easily recover by copy and paste

To setup Backup, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: September 19, 2010 07:31AM

Thank you for your replies. I didn't have a chance to see them before I experimented on my own. I think this worked, but I can't export the databases from my new installation of wamp.

Please forgive me for not following your previous advice but I just now logged on.

1. I reinstalled wamp and saved it to a directory wamp2
2. I made a new dreamweaver site definition and I made wamp2 my testing server. I uploaded my entire site under a new folder under the WWW folder in wamp2

This worked for everything except my database. PHPMyAdmin didn't recognize my old database.

I then looked in the old wamp folder under the bin folder>mySQL>data I saw my two databases. I copied them and pasted them under wamp2>bin>mySQl>data. When I loaded myphpadmin it did recognize my databases, and my site in dreamweaver did run.

OK here is the bad part. I then tried to export the database under myphpadmin, and I was able to dump it but I couldn't export it as a file. I kept getting errors . I am now writing from another computer and I am trying to do this from memory my brothers laptop is put away for the night and I am using my other brother's internet dinosaur.

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.251.255.11.threembb.ie)
Date: September 19, 2010 07:44AM

Maybe if u created a mysql symlink the new version could use the old database?

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: September 20, 2010 12:36AM

Maybe if u created a mysql symlink the new version could use the old database?

what is a mysql symlink ? Sorry I am so ignorant.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.