starting out quesion - pls help
Posted by: tangles (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2010 07:58PM

Hi, this is my first post and I need some advice.

I plan to search the forum for answers but I'm not sure exactly where to start.

Here's my situation: I have two pc's in a workgroup. Both have wamp installed on them, and I don't think either one was set up correctly because I can't access them with a URL.

Should I uninstall them both and start all over? Or, should I leave them there and try to reconfigure them?

This is what I want: I want to be able to develop/test code on one pc and have the server/db on the other pc. Ideally, I could use either pc as the client. Can I do this and is it recommended? Or should I have/do everything (client and server) on one pc only?

Thanks for your advice, this will really help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: starting out quesion - pls help
Posted by: showstopper (---.rev.greendottt.net)
Date: July 20, 2010 08:09PM

the url to access them is localhost or the ip of the pc

Date: July 20, 2010 11:45PM

Thanks, showstopper. Sounds like you think I would be better off reconfiguring what I have. Can two pcs on the same workgroup access the local server?

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: July 21, 2010 02:35AM

Theory, you can have more than 1 server in same LAN; however, it's required more settings and config than just simply install wamp on each; thus, suggest to uninstall wamp on 1 and follow these guides

Before going any further, you should backup your wamp and also check these basic guides to familiar w/ wamp; otherwise, just follow the next guides

To setup Backup, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

To setup Password, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

To setup Website w/ Wamp, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

To setup Database Account, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

You need to setup Access, DNS, and VH; Access for permission to connect to your Wamp PC, DNS to tie domain(s) to your Wamp PC, and VH to host multiple Domains/Websites/IP's and even you have only 1 Domain/IP, you should use VH to set it up w/ the site you want to show up first on top and localhost on bottom and others in middle if having more than 1 site; w/ VH, other PC's, no matter w/i or outside LAN, can access/see websites/contents on your wamp PC. If dont have real Domain, just skip DNS guide

To setup Access, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

To setup VH, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

To setup DNS, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: July 21, 2010 04:58AM

thanks yfastud, lots of info. It's great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.