Block directories from displaying
Posted by: kparrent (69.160.205.---)
Date: July 12, 2010 03:33PM

Hello,

I think I need a whole security tutorial on this. Is there a way to block a user from viewing the directories? For example, currently if I type in

www.mydomain.com/directory

It will display everything in that directory to the user. I would like this site to display forbidden. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Site not accessible externally
Date: July 12, 2010 03:23PM

Hello,

I have a subdomain site that is not available externally, but accessible internally. I think this may be because it doesn't have a www in front of it in our A records and needs to be configured differently.

It is accessible by both subdomain.domain.com and www.subdomain.domain.com internally. Externally subdomain.domain.com responds to ping, but does not load properly.

Is there a different way to configure sites without the www in the vhosts and hosts file? Do they need to be stored in a different directory? Thanks

Sites that don't exist displaying different site on server
Date: July 12, 2010 03:20PM

Hello,

I think this is probably a security issue. Right now, if someone types in a page that isn't properly mapped or doesn't exist on my server, it is displaying a different site that exists on the server. For example, if someone goes to

doesntexist.mydomain.net

it displays

exists.mydomain.net

The site it displays also happens to be the first listed in the vhosts, hosts, and the www directory. I would rather it just generate a site not found error. Thanks

Re: Block directories from displaying
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: July 12, 2010 06:24PM

you need to disable wildcard on your dns settings

you need to setup access, dns, and vh; access for permission to connect to your wamp pc, dns to tie domain(s) to your wamp pc, and vh to host multiple domains/websites and even you have only 1 domain/ip, you should use vh to set it up w/ the site you want to show up first on top and localhost on bottom and others in middle if having more than 1 site; if dont have real domain, just skip dns guide

to setup access, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

to setup VH, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

to setup dns, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Re: Block directories from displaying
Posted by: showstopper (---.rev.greendottt.net)
Date: July 15, 2010 07:40AM

u can create an .htaccess file and put
IndexIgnore *
in it prevent the directory listing

Fitcom - Technology and SEO with a side of awesome

Installing and Configuring a WAMP Server in Windows 7 & 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.