Problem with port 80?
Posted by: planstoprosper (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: July 08, 2010 01:36PM

So I downloaded WampServer a few days ago, and I could only get [localhost] to show a blank page. I tried everything I read on all the forum posts here and got nothing. I was convinced that it was not a port 80 problem because "Test Port 80" said "Your port 80 is actually used by: Server: Apache/2.2.14 (Win32) PHP/5.3.1". I finally looked elsewhere on the web and found instructions to alter httpd.conf. I changed "ServerName localhost:80" to "ServerName localhost:8080" and "Listen 80" to "Listen 8080". And suddenly [localhost] works!

So my question is: why? I'm totally new to servers in general and WampServer in particular. I'm glad I got it working, but I'd like to understand why. If something else is actually using my port 80, why does "Test Port 80" tell me something different? And if nothing else is using my port 80, why did it work on port 8080 but not port 80?

I appreciate any insight you could give me, and especially any pointers to good sites where I could learn more about this stuff. Thank you very much!

Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Problem with port 80?
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: July 09, 2010 09:17PM

I was convinced that it was not a port 80 problem because "Test Port 80" said "Your port 80 is actually used by: Server: Apache/2.2.14 (Win32) PHP/5.3.1"
the problem is you've already another web server since wamp2i comes w/ Apache/2.2.11 (Win32) PHP/5.3.0 and you should uninstall the other wamp package in order to use this wamp package winking smiley

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Re: Problem with port 80?
Posted by: planstoprosper (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: July 10, 2010 12:58AM

Ah, I see I didn't mention that I had updated them. While trying to figure out what was going wrong, I found links on this site to install the more recent versions of Apache, PHP and MySQL. I figured I might as well try it, although it didn't solve the problem. And after I had solved the problem, I figured I might as well keep the most recent versions active.

This wamp package is the one occupying port 80. When I left-click on the tray icon and change the Apache and PHP versions to the default ones (2.2.11 and 5.3.0), then choose "Test Port 80" I get "Your port 80 is actually used by: Server: Apache/2.2.11 (Win32) PHP/5.3.0".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.