Don't want to use "localhost" calls and links etc.
Posted by: Wombat (203.171.196.---)
Date: April 27, 2010 05:35PM

G'Day to the Wampserver team.

I have Apache / PHP (& Zend) / Perl / MySQL / and a mail server (to test locally all email output) installed on my "development" boxes for some years (Win PC). I dev for Perl and PHP and the mail server is only manually started when offline.

My question...

I want to try Wampserver mainly because some the easy management options sound worth while. However all I see is reference to the use of lame "localhost".

I have always given my 'puters a name and an extension of .com or .net. This allows me to refer to a domain name in my config files and page links etc, and even for mailing setups etc when testing development... see [phparagon.com].

So...

1) Can Wampserver be set up to be compatible with same (ie h ttp://mycompname.net/ and not h ttp://localhost/ all the time)?

2) Also can I name the web root as "htdocs" and not www?

3) Plus is there an Apache folder set up above web root too (a comment somewhere made me wonder about that)?

PS I am not interested in channeling back into my server from the web!

Regards, 'imself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
...bug free, my programs do occasionally include undisclosed FREE random features.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2010 06:13PM by Wombat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Don't want to use "localhost" calls and links etc.
Posted by: c2dan (---.15-1.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: April 27, 2010 07:25PM

Wombat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> 2) Also can I name the web root as "htdocs" and
> not www?
>

To change the default directory left click the WAMP tray icon and choose Apache > httpd.conf

Scroll down and find the following directives
DocumentRoot "c:/wamp/www/"

<Directory "c:/wamp/www/">

Change C:/wamp/www to your desired location. Eg C:/wamp/htdocs. Now save the httpd.conf and rename the www folder to htdocs. Left click wamp try icon and choose Restart All Services.

Wombat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> 3) Plus is there an Apache folder set up above web
> root too (a comment somewhere made me wonder about
> that)?
>
Not sure what you're referring to here, but you cannot access any folders outside of the root folder (eg C:/wamp/htdocs). However If you wish to allow public access to a folder that is outside of the root folder you can setup an Alias or a virtual host

Re: Don't want to use "localhost" calls and links etc.
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: April 28, 2010 05:08AM

instead change the webroot, you should setup vh and actually to meet all your questions, check this

you need to setup access, dns, and vh; access for permission to connect to your wamp pc, dns to tie domain(s) to your wamp pc, and vh to host multiple domains/websites and even you have only 1 domain/ip, you should use vh to set it up w/ the site you want to show up first on top and localhost on bottom and others in middle if having more than 1 site; if dont have real domain, just skip dns guide

to setup access, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

to setup vh, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

to setup dns, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.