Project vs Alias
Posted by: cats_five (---.interdsl.co.uk)
Date: April 10, 2010 09:16AM

Have just started running WAMP and am wondering about when to use a 'project' and when to use an 'alias'.

I only use it for development on my PC, not as a live server.

The only advantage I can see for an alias is that the files could be in any directory, not www - and to me that's it's disadvantage as well.

Re: Project vs Alias
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: April 10, 2010 05:14PM

you should use vh, but suggest to setup backup and pass first

to setup backup, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

to setup password, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

you need to setup access, dns, and vh; access for permission to connect to your wamp pc, dns to tie domain(s) to your wamp pc, and vh to host multiple domains/websites and even you have only 1 domain/ip, you should use vh to set it up w/ the site you want to show up first on top and localhost on bottom and others in middle if having more than 1 site; if dont have real domain, just skip dns guide

to setup access, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

to setup vh, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

to setup dns, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: cats_five (---.interdsl.co.uk)
Date: April 12, 2010 10:38AM

Am just looking for why both Aliases & Projects are provided, not a tutorial surrounded by advertising on something else. An Alias as setup by WAMP is working fine, not problems, am simply curious.

Posted by: c2dan (---.15-1.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: April 12, 2010 07:04PM

There is no wrong or right way. It is up to you how you setup your sites on WAMP.

However for me I prefer to setup a virtualhost for each site I work on rather than using Aliases.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.