Wamp and MySQL Admin-tools or MySQL Workbench addin
Posted by: marcesw (168.103.86.---)
Date: March 01, 2010 05:34PM

I would like to see the intergration of the MySQL Workbench (GUI Tool) or MySql administration Tools. I have tried to get these tools to work with the Wamp server and they cant find the appropreate connecting files do to the service are renamed (windows services: wampapache and wampmysql). If any one has a fix for these tools I would like to hear about it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wamp and MySQL Admin-tools or MySQL Workbench addin
Posted by: c2dan (---.15-1.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: March 01, 2010 07:50PM

MySQL Workbench needs to be configured. It is not a wamp issue.

Here is how I configured MySQL Wordbench version 5.2.16.

Download and install MySQL Workbench. Once installed Start MySQL Workbench and make sure WAMP is running.

Once started got to the Server Administration section (right hand side of the window). Click New Service Instance.

For the Specify Host Machine and Database Connection screens just click next. On the Test DB Connection screen the wizard will prompt for the password for your root user, enter the password if you have set one up. If you have not set a password leave the password field blank.

Upon successful login the wizard should correctly identify the Server version and what OS mysql is running on.

Click Next to go the Operating System screen. For the MySQL Installation Type choose
Windows (MySQL x86 zip Package

Click Next. The wizard will now attempt to find the mysql configuration file. You will see an error. Ignore the error we'll fix this next. Click the Next button and we'll be taken to the MySQL Config File screen. For the Path to Configuration File set it to
C:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.1.36\my.ini
NOTE: mysql1.5.36 may differ to your mysql version. I'm using wamp 2.0i which comes with 5.1.36

Click the Test button underneath to see if the path is correct. It should turn green. If you see an error you'll need to manually find the my.ini file in C:\wamp\bin\mysql

For the Server Instance change it to
wampmysqld

Click Next. In the three input boxes change where it says mysql to wampmysqld.

Click Next. And finally click FInish. MySQL Wordbench is now configured correctly to work with mysql that comes with WAMP.

Double click the new server instance under the Server Administration section to connect to MySQL.

Date: March 02, 2010 03:23PM

Thank you for the information i will try that.

Date: March 02, 2010 03:38PM

Click Next. In the three input boxes change where it says mysql to wampmysqld.

Click Next. And finally click FInish. MySQL Wordbench is now configured correctly to work with mysql that comes with WAMP.

Double click the new server instance under the Server Administration section to connect to MySQL.

after these final steps I stop the Mysql instance and try to start it using the Workbench and this is the message I get when i do that:

010-03-02 07:36:03 - Checked server status: Server is stopped.

2010-03-02 07:36:03 - Trying to start server...

2010-03-02 07:36:03 -

2010-03-02 07:36:03 - Checked server status: Server is stopped.

Posted by: c2dan (---.15-1.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: March 02, 2010 06:48PM

Upon clicking the start button there is normally a slight delay. It will say server is not started but then a couple of seconds later it says its started.

Make sure in the home tab of MySQL Workbench. Click Manage Server Instances (bottom right of window). Select the service you set up earlier from the list on the left. Now click the system profile tab. Can you post a screenshot of that tab here.

Posted by: Adobarsby (---.aztw.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: April 03, 2010 06:17PM

I have the same problem. The server instance is clearly running because WAMP server says so. Also, if I use the old MySQL Administrator, this says it is running. Even more interestingly, I can use the connection to it from Workbench 5.2.17 to edit tables etc. However, on the server administration tab, I can not edit accounts or anything because it says the service is stopped and gives exactly the same comments as marcesw sees if I try to start the service.

I have tried running the Workbench as an administrator since this used to be the issue when manually adding a new server instance in Administrator, but this still doesn't work.

My .ini file is correctly pointed to and I am using wampmysqld.

Any ideas?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2010 11:26AM by Adobarsby.

Posted by: Adobarsby (---.aztw.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: April 04, 2010 11:51AM

Sorry to double post, but I solved my own problem and hence the same for marcesw.

First, follow all the instructions as above, but the also the following.

- Open the dialog - "Manage server instances" and select the localhost service.

- Select the System profile tab.

- At the bottom of the page, you will see three boxes. Make sure they read as follows

Start MySQL: sc start wampmysqld
Stop MySQL: sc stop wampmysqld

Check MySQL status: sc query wampmysqld | wba_filter(RUNNING)

The key point is that the default on these three would be mysql, but we need wampmysqld as this is the name of the server under wampserver.

You may need to check "Acquire administrator rights" if you are not running as an administrator.

The third of these is the important one. In general, it is unlikely that you will actually want to start and stop your server from Workbench as the wampserver does this for you. However, if Workbench does not know how to correctly query whether or not the server is running, you will have no access to any of the administrator functions from Workbench itself.

I hope this helps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.