wamp folder is read only, can't change it !!
Posted by: Xajel (95.84.76.---)
Date: December 21, 2009 04:52PM

Hellow everyone,

I've using WAMP for a long time now ( well before WAMP 2 ) and I'm very happy with it ( except I can't use it portable )

I'm using it to test Wordpress now, and as you know WP does upload a lot of files and move too. I got an error doing any upload and I know the problem was related to the fact that wamp folder in drive C: is read-only. I tried to change it with ton's of ways but no success... from the normal properties from command window and even from hell but no sucess at all...

I even tried to create a new folder and copy everything in WAMP to it and then rename both... no success I found that this is a windows related thingy, every single folder in drive C is read-only... and opps I can't change that... I went to microsoft website to see the problem, it's listed and there's solution but it just wont work at all !!

I'm asking here coz I know some of you may had this problem before and they may have a solution too... so any one ??

+ I'm thinking about moving the WAMP folder outside my C drive just to get rid a of problems like this, ( maybe to D, or E ) so can I do this without a problem ? and can I put it inside another folder too ( example e:\works\wamp )

using WAMP 2.0i on Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit on NTFS drive...
rig spec.

AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE @ 3.4GHz
ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
4GB DDR2-1100 Corsair at 5-5-5-18
2x 320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 on RAID 0 ( system + others )
1x 1TB WD caviar blue
eVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 OC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2009 04:56PM by Xajel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wamp folder is read only, can't change it !!
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: December 21, 2009 08:58PM

just built a dirt cheap pc for a friend for 200 bucks
Core 2 Quad Q8200(2.33GHz)
8GB RAM
1TB HDD
Win7 64bit
Wamp folder is read only by default but she has no problem to upload and download into wordpress and joomla, so you might want to check your firewalls/anitvirus or settings in wordpress/joomla itself

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: December 22, 2009 03:18PM

wordpress it's clean install, nothing changed at all...

and I just ried installing another one in another path with same error appears

for example, when I try to upload a theme this errors show

"Can't move the file that has been uploaded to folder C:\wamp\www\wordpress/wp-content/uploads"

+ I completly disabled the firewall/antivirus I have ( Kaspersky Internet Security ) but the same problem happens again...

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: December 22, 2009 04:29PM

"Can't move the file that has been uploaded to folder C:\wamp\www\wordpress/wp-content/uploads"
you definitely have problem in path as you clearly see that the path has both *nix (forward slash) and windows (backslash), so you might want to reinstall wordpress following this
[blog.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: December 22, 2009 09:24PM

I installed it several time, and I read your guide to see if I'm missing something, but nothing at all...

I didn't change any settings other that setting the config file, it's a freash and very clean install

I tried to change the path for upload later to use windows slashes but no success, the exact same message appears

Posted by: Xajel (95.84.79.---)
Date: December 23, 2009 06:00AM

Finally I figured it out !!

I thought it coz of read-only attribute of wamp folder, or coz of some wrong Wordpress settings..

but non, this morning ( it's 7:51 am here in Bahrain now ) I tried to install the latest original package 2.9 and as usual the same error again...
and on two other computers too just to see if it was some OS problem, at home I have Win 7 Ultimate 32bit, in my lappy I have Win 7 Ultimate 64bit and in work I have Win Vista Ultimate 32bit... all with same problem !!

I was using a single test .zip theme file to test the problem, before I used to have some large pics from my mobile just to test, I thought just how big the file is ?
and it was 2.01MB, opps I remembred that php's default max file upload size is 2MB, same goes for WAMP... so I checked phpinfo() and that's it !! 2MB

and my mobile phone is 12MP ( Sony Ericsson Satio ) and I normally capture at 9MP and files are slightly larger than 2MB ( 12MP is larger than 3MB ) so that's why I always had this problem !! the thing is Wordpress doesn't tell you what the cause of the problem it just says it can't move the file !!

I just increased it to 32MB and restart WAMP services and everything is okay now !!

what a hell of work and time I spent just for this slight problem !!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.