phpmyadmin no longer sees the database
Posted by: ct_privy (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2009 07:14AM

The phpMyAdmin application I use often no longer sees the 'plants' database that I created. I believe this is due to having inadvertently deleted part of the MySQL folder (5.1.30) yesterday. However I think the data and possibly the tables are still in tact within the file 'ibdata1'. Therefore I feel like I didn't delete the data, just the program's ability to see the data.

I am very much a novice, and don't know how WAMP works at a fundamental level yet. So, I would like to know if MySQL data in general is physically stored in file 'ibdata1'. And if so, is there a way I can help myphpadmin to see the data or at least to retrieve the data from 'ibdata1' to be viewed/edited with another program?

I did copy the entire wamp folder onto an external drive prior to deleting said MySQL folder. Are there certain folders I can send to my working wamp folders to solve the problem.

Hope this makes sense. I appreciate any constructive advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: phpmyadmin no longer sees the database
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras2.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: December 19, 2009 01:20PM

there is more to msql database then the ibdata file

these are 3 files for each table that are also required..

if you have a copy of all of this i can get ur data back

your using the innodb engine to run mysql - ud be better off switching to MyISAM as these databse files and be copy and pasted anywhere where as iddata flies are not like this and cannot be moved .

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Posted by: ct_privy (63.112.65.---)
Date: December 20, 2009 05:39PM

Thanks for your response. What are the names of the 3 files needed in order for each table to work/be seen? It's most likely one of these three that I inadvertently deleted.

Also, could you point me to a webpage that steps through the process of switching from innodb engine to MyISAM?

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras2.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 06:31PM

just open the my.ini file and switch

default_storage_engine = innodb

to = myissam

its too late now tho.. this is just for future ref

the 2 other files are

tablename.opt and tablename.frm - i think (im not at pc)

--------------------------
myissam

has 3 files

tablename.myi
tablename.mfd

tablename.frm

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: December 21, 2009 08:43PM

Posted by: ct_privy (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 22, 2009 03:51AM

I found the .frm files of the table (actually of the tables) I created. I found this in another version of MYSQL (5.0) which is outside the WAMP Suite that I run (using MySQL 5.1.30). The question of why the tables would be found in this older version is of interest but of less importance right now than the fact that I did find the .frm files.

After putting said .frm files into the C:\wamp\bin\mysql\data directory where I believe they belong (is this correct?), I started myphpadmin to find that the database still has no tables. This despite the fact that on the left hand side the 'plants' database has a (4) next to it, as in 4 tables. Also when I try to Search in the 'plants' database, the tablenames themselves do appear in a dropdown box, yet the search for words in the table comes up empty. Am I close to solving this?

I should note that the .frm files for all four tables were in a folder with the same name as the database; also included in this folder was a db.opt file. And there was no tablename.opt that I could find.

Thanks again for your help!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.