server running UNIX and I am on windows vista can I use WAMP?
Posted by: Silverstone (---.sub-75-251-162.myvzw.com)
Date: October 05, 2009 07:24PM

Im new to setting up local server and installed WAMP on my machine. My web server (hostmonster) is running LINUX. Can I use WAMP for this particular setup? If not any suggestions for a newbie?

Thanks in advance for your kind help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: server running UNIX and I am on windows vista can I use WAMP?
Posted by: SgtLegend (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 05, 2009 07:39PM

Are you saying you want to run WAMP on your host monster server? Sorry but im not understanding what your trying to do.

Date: October 05, 2009 07:50PM

thanks for the reply...no I want to run it on my local machine for editing and working on joomla locally then uploading to hostmonster who is running unix not windows servers.

Posted by: c2dan (---.15-1.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: October 05, 2009 08:22PM

Yes. PHP/MySQL (what Joomla is coded with) is cross platform independent. It'll run the same regardless of the OS.

All you need to do is to download your site from your host via FTP and place your sites files in WAMPs www folder (C:/wamp/www).

Next you need to backup your database for Joomla, your host should provide a utility for this. If you're not sure ask your host.

Once you have the backup, which normally comes in the form of an .sql file you need to open phpmyadin from WAMP and select the Import tab.

Once your backup is imported you'll need to modify your Joomla configuration and change the MySQL username/password. Default username/password for WAMP is root for the username and no password

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: October 05, 2009 11:05PM

Date: October 06, 2009 01:03AM

Thanks so much ...what an awesome forum... I got it setup and WOW ...I will never edit another site remotely LOL my time has been cut by 100.

I will be going and sending a donation as I am extremely proud of this utility. It opens a whole new world for me and website building.

Thanks again!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.