PHP 5.3.0 incompaibility with Joomla
Posted by: CaptJim (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2009 05:31AM

I posted this plea on Joomla's forum:
Using Joomla 1.5.14 ... WAMP 2.0i ... Vista 64bit ... Joomla 1.5 Essential Training from Lynda.com w/Joseph LeBlanc
I'm pretty sure I finally got all the WAMPserver stuff working correctly and the Apache port 80/Skype conflicts unraveled... but there are a few things that don't seem right with the Joomla localhost practice stuff I'm doing.
First off. I've created 4 articles, 2 of them for the front page... but in Article Manager I do not have any 'check boxes' to the left of each article's title which means I can not 'trash' or 'move' any articles... and I do want to delete one of the articles. It's as though some part of Joomla was not downloaded properly.
Also, the front page does not say "home" in the box to the left like it does in the tutorial screen... instead I have an error message that says:
Warning: Parameter 1 to modMainMenuHelper::buildXML() expected to be a reference, value given in C:\wamp\www\SnowSportVideos\libraries\joomla\cache\handler\callback.php on line 99

Then there appear to be many options on my New Article editing screen that I don't have, such as a 'font selection' button, et al.

Additionally, on my Article Manager page I have several error messages above my article roster:

Warning: Parameter 1 to JHTMLGrid::access() expected to be a reference, value given in C:\wamp\www\SnowSportVideos\libraries\joomla\html\html.php on line 87

And I was instructed to do the following:
Hi,

You are using WAMP2 which has php 5.3.0 installed. Joomla 1.5.14 is not yet compatible with that version. Download php 5.2.9 from here and use it and everything should be fine.

[www.wampserver.com]

I did all of the above as follows:

OK, I took everything out/off, including Joomla... started from scratch... reinstalled Wamp 2.0i, then Wamp PHP529... everything to the letter, and I still have the same problem. I checked the Wamp specs and they are:
Apache Version :
PHP Version :
Is there some other, earlier version of Wamp I can use that will do the job until Joomla finally gets all the ducks in a row for compatibility with the latest Wamp releases? I don't mind jumping through a few hoops... but this marathon exercise has been more like some sick cosmic joke. Help, Mr. Wizard!
Thanks in advance...

I thought I should ask the WAMP community if they/someone had a solution to this latest dilemma.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PHP 5.3.0 incompaibility with Joomla
Posted by: toumimi (---.190.140-88.rev.gaoland.net)
Date: October 01, 2009 06:21AM

When wamp is installed you don't have to uninstall it to use another version of php..
Just download and install another version, but don't forget to switch versions from wamp menu -> PHP -> Versions.

PHP 5.2.9 should be compatible with joomla.

Florian

WampServer Patch (Screenshots)
Topic EN : www.wampserver.com
Topic FR : www.wampserver.com

Posted by: CaptJim (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2009 06:23AM

Thanks... it worked... your efforts are appreciated.

Posted by: breakthrough77 (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: October 02, 2009 12:41AM

Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but I am quite new to this. After I download PHP 5.2, my computer says that I need to choose an application to open it. What application would that be? How do I install the new version so that Wamp will run it?
Thanks.

Posted by: toumimi (---.190.140-88.rev.gaoland.net)
Date: October 02, 2009 02:45PM

You need to download an .exe file.
You can find it on the Addons section

Florian

Posted by: floppytoppy (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: October 11, 2009 12:58AM

hi all!

can some one please tell me where the switch is to be found? i guess that "wamp menu -> PHP -> Versions. " stands for "[localhost] -> phpinfo() -> Versions", but there's nothing clickable within [localhost] /?phpinfo=1 ...

(i've downloaded and installed WampServer20i.exe and WampServer2-PHP5211.exe, but i have no options whatsoever within my wamp console to switch from PHP 5.3.0 to 5.2.11...

any help will be greatly appreciated!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2009 12:59AM by floppytoppy.

Posted by: toumimi (---.72.113-78.rev.gaoland.net)
Date: October 11, 2009 12:52PM

I said "wamp menu -> PHP -> Versions" and not "localhost -> phpinfo() -> Versions"
You got two menus available with wamp icon (left click and right click)

Florian

Posted by: floppytoppy (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: October 11, 2009 03:33PM

it worked!!!
Thank you sooooo much, Florian!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.