How to change server/host name
Posted by: wschauer (174.34.217.---)
Date: August 25, 2009 08:10PM

Hello. I set up WAMPServer on a Windows Vista 64 machine last October, and it has worked great, but I've always only used the MySQL portion "locally" as Localhost. Now I want other computers on our Windows network to be able to "see" and connect to the MySQL server database(s), but I cannot figure out how to change the MySQL host name to match the computer name and also make the server visable to other computers. Is this done in a particular ".ini" or "config" file? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to change server/host name
Posted by: toumimi (---.115.116-78.rev.gaoland.net)
Date: August 25, 2009 10:36PM

I'm not sure if a configuration should be done in mysql config files, but I think you have to open mysql port (3306) in your router. You can't use phpmyadmin remotely until you have change access configuration in alias/phpmyadmin.conf file...

Florian

WampServer Patch (Screenshots)
Topic EN : www.wampserver.com
Topic FR : www.wampserver.com

Date: August 25, 2009 10:51PM

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I have port 3306 open. How do I change the MySQL host/server name?

Date: August 25, 2009 10:54PM

On a local network, just use lan ip of the computer hosting mysql server.. (192.168...)

Florian

Date: August 25, 2009 11:37PM

I've been using the MySQL ODBC connector to connect to my database through Microsoft Access. But when it asks for the Server Name the only thing that works is "Localhost". But when I use the computer name or the IP address, I get the error message:

"Host '192.168.1.110" is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server."

Date: August 25, 2009 11:48PM

Then the user you have defined have no the right for this domain...
Try to modify rights for this user in phpmyadmin, privileges tab and change server name to %

Florian

Date: August 26, 2009 12:11AM

That worked! Thank you so much for your help.

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: August 26, 2009 02:23AM

yep, that's work but you have to be careful since you use wild card % and now anyone can make up any name to connect to your mysql server; instead you should set it up a little more specific to certain users, for example, in phpMyAdmin click privileges tab, then Add User link. Fill in the Login Information field. For the Host, select the option labelled as Use Text field and type in your computers lan address in the text box. Scroll down to the Global privileges form. Click the choose all link (or select specific ones you want to assign to this user). Now click Go button. When connecting to MySQL from your remote computer, use the details you just setup winking smiley

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: wschauer (174.34.207.---)
Date: August 26, 2009 05:05AM

I used the wildcard for the host name but the user was a specific user with a password.

Posted by: nazar20 (117.192.29.---)
Date: August 27, 2009 03:24PM

Hello All
I love your all tips.bcz am using this way.Now worked well

Thanks
[www.drupals-developers.com]
[www.drupal-web-developers.com]

Posted by: ZenProfit (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 04, 2010 10:31PM

My problem is slightly different.

After 4 years my WAMP 1.5 install became corrupted. So I did an upgrade to WAMP 2.0.
All appeared to have gone well, I could access PHPMyadmin,and see my databases.
However, my website was throwing errors at every link back to the MySQL database:
access denied to "username@ABC123", where ABC123 is the actual name of the server box at my ISP. Before the upgrade, the access was via: username@123.456.78.90 where 123.456.78.90 was the actual DNS of the server (I am the sole user of this server, it is not shared.)

When I went into the MySQL | Users table thru phpMyadmin I manually changed the LocalHost to 123.456.78.90.

Now I cannot access phpMyAdmin at all and the website still cannot access the MySQL database.

What is the process thru the MySQL Console to change the 123.456.78.90 back to ABC123 so I can get back into phpMyAdmin. And then how do I correctly change the username@ setting so my website links will get through to the MySQL database?

Thanks.

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras2.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: June 05, 2010 05:19AM

u need to set up a user named that...

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Posted by: ZenProfit (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 05, 2010 07:28PM

If I could log into phpMyAdmin again I would do that. However, after I went in and created username@123.456.78.90 I cannot log in at all. Is there a way thru MySQL Console to create a new user? I seem to remember years ago, before I installed WAMP, that the plain MySQL install had such a function. Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.