How to setup port 80 using zoneedit
Posted by: WampServerGuy (---.cncdnh.fast.myfairpoint.net)
Date: August 09, 2009 01:55PM

Morning!

I am using the latest WAMPSERVER on Windows XP PRO and Thanks to your marvelous help I know I am almost there.

I did setup a zoneedit, and I did configure Vhost as directed by you earlier, and I am able to have WAMPSERVER have the status of: WAMPSERVER - server Online.

Next issue follows:

I went and clicked on the WAMPSERVER on the bottom right hand icon, then clicked on Apache, and then clicked on Service, and then clicked on (TEST PORT 80) and got the following error:

Your port 80 is not actually used

So I went and used Google for the error and I read to go to "RUN" and then type the following:

firewall.cpl

Then I clicked on Exceptions and clicked on ADD

And did the following:

Name: HTTP port 80

Port Number: 80

Then Selected TCP

Could you tell me how to setup port 80 for WAMPSERVER / Apache / PHP so I can have the full use of WAMPSERVER running with out loosing my Security on my WAMPSERVER and the worldwide web being able to serach and find my websites that I am hosting.

Also weither or not I really need port 80 to run WAMPSERVER and if I am better off just making up a port with any number that pops in my head or no I can only use a particular number to receive traffic for hosting my websites without the risk of a SECURITY BREACH.

Randy

Any and all help is GREATLY APPRECIATED

The WampServerGuy

rc2472400@yahoo.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to setup port 80 using zoneedit
Posted by: toumimi (---.114.116-78.rev.gaoland.net)
Date: August 09, 2009 02:24PM

First, it is better to use port 80 since it's the default port for webpages (so you don't have to insert it in url).
You can easily change the default port by using my patch but don't forget to add your port into url and to give it to all users.
=> Apache port 88
=> Url : 'http://localhost:88/'

Not depending of which port you use, you have to open it in your router and firewall (I don't use windows firewall since it's desactivated and I use a standalone one).

Note that you cannot use vhosts from the web since there is no translation between this domain name (unknown) and your ip. To achieve this, you should use dynamic dns (dyndns, no-ip, ...) if available and subdomains. (a little bit more complex). (or buy a public domain)
First test from your public ip and project name : 'http://123.456.78.90/fudge/' to see if it works...

If you have "Your port 80 is not actually used", this is because apache service is not started or you have modified apache port. Start apache service from wamp menu.

Florian

WampServer Patch (Screenshots)
Topic EN : www.wampserver.com
Topic FR : www.wampserver.com

Date: August 09, 2009 02:55PM

how do i use your patch?

The WampServerGuy

rc2472400@yahoo.com

Posted by: toumimi (---.114.116-78.rev.gaoland.net)
Date: August 09, 2009 03:02PM

I wrote a manual here : Download manual

Note that I have just update a new release of my patch and that help has not been updated yet but you will find enough informations cool smiley

Florian

WampServer Patch (Screenshots)
Topic EN : www.wampserver.com
Topic FR : www.wampserver.com

Date: August 09, 2009 03:04PM

Thanks I will check it out....

The WampServerGuy

rc2472400@yahoo.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.