WAMP, the good the bad and the ugly.. 8)
Posted by: WareWolf (---.hsd1.ut.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2009 02:37PM

good & bad..
Ok, so I got me a new server, & figured I'd stick a trial copy of windows 7 - 64bit on it, fresh from M$.. Great, next comes php/apache/mysql -- hmm WampServer sounds like just the trick. Anyways, it installs, puts in the services, and all just pretty as can be. After disabling the UAC (I think?), it was able to see itself at localhost.

Ok, decent, I thought. But upon further inspection: It cannot be seen by any other pc's in the local network..using its private ip address. Bummer. Fiddled with windows firewall, even shutting it off completely for a while, no luck.

Ok, so I figure I'll put it on my pc, and see if it works. I use a freaky old xp 64bit install, which seems to have 'issues' even working wamp properly.. Nope.. installs, puts in services, but doesn't browse itself even.

I first left each machine alone, configured at port 80, then if that worked properly - switched out the port to 85 on one, and 88 on the other, leaving 80 for the actual machine I'd hope it would work on. Nope..

Frustrated, I figure I'll put it on a 3rd machine.. this one is a more run-of-the-mill older p4, 32bit only.. It installs and runs like a charm out of the gate, and is visible by the world with no issues, and lan users no problem.

conclusions:
1) 64 bit os's are still poorly supported even by the bestest of softwares going..
2) OMG windows 7 bites so much &$$ it isn't funny.
3) WampServer works well in 32bit (lan visible, and world visible immediately following install -- 5 minutes tops), and so so in 64 bit environments..(the windows 7 machine works ok, people tell me, but I can't see the thing except from itself, while pointed to localhost)
4) maybe I gotta go linux to get use of 64bit for apache..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2009 02:38PM by WareWolf.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WAMP, the good the bad and the ugly.. 8)
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras2.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: July 24, 2009 03:50PM

u did turn wamp online right?

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: July 24, 2009 03:52PM

Haha, yeah. Thanks. I needed that. 8)

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras2.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: July 24, 2009 03:53PM

did u try ur lan ip 192.168.1.x on the machine running wamp? jsut to see if even that pc can see itslelf on anythign other then localhost

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: July 24, 2009 04:21PM

On the 64bit windows 7 load: Yes, I went thru alot of hoops trying to 'allow' it with rules in the firewall then finally totally disabling the windows firewalls, too, just to be sure it wasn't that..

rebooted a couple more times, and finally 2 of the 3 work properly on my pvt. network!! yay, and woot..

no-ip.com has a port checker, it did find that the port was open, but being on my own lan, I thought I'd be able to see it from one pvt ip to another is failing on the 64bit win7 machine..

ip's are something like this:

10.1.10.123:80 <-- win7-64bit; see's itself at localhost, visible on pvt-network, port fwd works to net
10.1.10.124:88 <-- winxp 32bit; see's itself at localhost, visible on pvt-network, port fwd works to net
10.1.10.125:85 <-- winxp64bit, dead - failed install - fails viewing @ localhost .. stupid thing

Each has a port forward rules in the router:

win7rule : local 80 range1 80 range2 80 public 80 pubrange1 80 [pubrange2-autofills] 10.1.10.123
winxprule : local 88 range1 88 range2 88 public 88 pubrange1 88 [pubrange2-autofills] 10.1.10.124
winxp64rule: local 85 range1 85 range2 85 public 85 pubrange1 85 [pubrange2-autofills] 10.1.10.125

so, to recap & update:
windows 7 - 64bit install is working now,
-after a couple reboots and driver updates from asus - dorks..
-you'd think this stuff would be in the LATEST windows considering the hardware is a yr old..anyways..

xp32bit install worked flawlessly out of the box..serious it was going in under 4 minutes with the port changes from / to proper settings..w/restart

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.