Protecting localserver ultimately mycomputer
Posted by: domineaux (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: July 18, 2009 02:24AM

Protecting localserver ultimately mycomputer

My computer is behind a router and firewall. It is also protected by virus and spyware scanners.

Is there a document dealing with port vulnerabilities and other issues that should be dealt with to protect local computer while using it as a local server?

I know my computer is secure for most issues of a internet connected computer, that is for a non-server type computer. Now it is operating in the realm of a webserver, and a new set of issues present themselves.

So, far no issues... but I've only been up a couple days.

I would like to research this abit as it relates to WAMP.

Is it possible to just isolate the WAMP server completely from server vulnerabilities? Much of the work I do with the local server does not require constant internet connectivity between the local server and the internet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Protecting localserver ultimately mycomputer
Posted by: c2dan (---.15-1.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: July 18, 2009 12:46PM

There will be no secretary vulnerabilities using WAMP. Only run WAMP when you need to run it. Dont leave it running 24/7.

If WAMP is running in offline mode it will only accept connections from your computer. It will refuse comnections from anyone else

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: July 18, 2009 03:35PM

Put it this way, you only worry about your government enforcements if you're planning to install/setup mail server since spammers will detect and take advantage to secretly use your mail server and you have to take all responsibilities for their actions; for example, a couple years ago, my best friend was in FBI's custody for investigation if he's a spammer just because he installed a mail server to run his testing scripts a couple times and when he's done w/ his script, he completely forgot about the mail server; as a result, a couple months later, FBI knocked his door and took him into custody sad smiley

Or you might worry about hackers only if you will be hosting websites that contain sensitive information such as credit cards or need secure transactions. On the other words, if you don't have mail server or sensitive information, most spammers and hackers, if not all, don't waste their time on your pc winking smiley

For example, I have 3 servers running 24/7 since 2005 and they're all online for worldwide access. At first I was using either Norton or McAfee since other firewall/antivirus cause problem to run wamp, I mean at that time. From the beginning, I'm running windows, wamp, mcafee, ftp server, and mail server, but after my best friend's incident, I paid more attention to my spammer black list and found out that it's growing very quick everyday, so I decided to take down mail server since it's very tired to keep track and update mail security's everyday to prevent spammers; and don't get me wrong, if you like to have your own mail, it's your call winking smiley

BTW, don't be surprise that nowadays I'm running only windows, wamp and ftp server and don't even have firewall/antivirus at all winking smiley because I only use these servers to run wamp and ftp server, but never use them for any other normal everyday compute needs

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2009 03:37PM by yfastud.

Posted by: sTimulated (---.cable.ubr06.cast.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 18, 2009 08:30PM

Test your openness here...[www.grc.com]
Port 80 will be open when running wamp.

I'm behind a router with a hardware firewall and I have not had ANY antivirus installed for the last 5yrs,you don't need it!
Antivirus will slow your pc down and I have known antivirus to 'actually' trash a pc (I fix pc's,remove infections etc for a living).
I also don't have a 3rd party firewall,I use windows own built in firewall.

Nearly ALL infections are self induced.

I don't recommend 'not having' any antivirus or 3rd party firewall but you don't actually need it.

If your behind a router with a hardware firewall (most routers usually have hardware firewalls) then your pretty safe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.