Can't access localhost - Connection Interrupted
Posted by: djMot (---.mdtnwi.dedicated.static.tds.net)
Date: November 11, 2008 11:48PM

I just replaced the hard drive in my laptop and did a clean install of Windows Vista Home Premium. I do a lot of web development on this machine. WampServer was installed on the original drive with the same version of Windows and everything worked perfectly for a year or more...

This time, clean install no joy.

Whenever I start WampServer and select "lovalhost" from its menu, Firefox starts, sits there for a while, then comes back with:

Connection Interrupted
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

I've completely uninstalled, deleted the c:\wamp folder, and reinstalled and got the same thing. Installation is with defaults (other than changing the email address,)

I'm clueless. What's wrong with this thing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can't access localhost - Connection Interrupted
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: November 12, 2008 12:02AM

Date: November 12, 2008 03:54AM

Sure. Here you go:

[Tue Nov 11 16:59:07 2008] [notice] Child 4688: All worker threads have exited.
[Tue Nov 11 16:59:07 2008] [notice] Child 4688: Child process is exiting
[Tue Nov 11 16:59:07 2008] [notice] Parent: Child process exited successfully.
[Tue Nov 11 16:59:26 2008] [notice] Apache/2.2.8 (Win32) PHP/5.2.6 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Tue Nov 11 16:59:26 2008] [notice] Server built: Jan 18 2008 00:37:19
[Tue Nov 11 16:59:26 2008] [notice] Parent: Created child process 5656
[Tue Nov 11 16:59:26 2008] [notice] Child 5656: Child process is running
[Tue Nov 11 16:59:26 2008] [notice] Child 5656: Acquired the start mutex.
[Tue Nov 11 16:59:26 2008] [notice] Child 5656: Starting 64 worker threads.
[Tue Nov 11 16:59:26 2008] [notice] Child 5656: Starting thread to listen on port 80.

I meant to mention in my first post that the Port 80 Test shows Apache as listening on the port. Also, The Windows firewall has the appropriate exception for the Apache Server. No other firewall present, and the problem exists regardless of whether my antivirus/spyware (ESET NOD32) is running or not.

Thanks.

Date: November 12, 2008 05:39AM

ESET NOD32, if you search, you will see a lot of people have problem w/ ESET NOD32, a temp solution is uninstall both wamp and ESET NOD32, then reinstall wamp before ESET NOD32

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: November 12, 2008 03:26PM

I'll try this and report back since I believe people really want to get answers to things like this.

However, before replacing the hard drive on this computer, I believe ESET NOD32 was already installed at the tine WampServer was installed. I can be at least 99.9999% sure of that. But what is also true is that Apache was installed before NOD32. You can see in a post I made here months hack that I was asking for guidance on replacing a manually installed setup with a Wamp setup. So the install path on the old hard drive looked something like this:

Install Apache
Install MySQL
Install PHP5
All is well...
Replace Trend Micro with ESET NOD32
All is well...
Uninstall PHP5, MySQL, Apache
Install WampServer (w/ NOD32 running)
All is well.

From what you suggest of ESET NOD32, it would seem that the problem lies in Apache, and that remnants of a previous installation suffice to ward off any ill interaction between the two when moving from a manual Apache install to a Wamp install with NOD32 already present.

Okay then, off I go to try to make this work...

Date: November 12, 2008 05:22PM

Okay... Reporting back.

Localhost is now accessible. But the course of action was not quite what you might think.

Due to the close expiration date for my NOD32 subscription, and the concern over it's impact on Apache, I decided to change antivirus horses. And by the way, I had detected some chatter about NOD32 here in this forum, but my previous experience seemed to negate any concern on my part. Apparently, it is definitely an order of install issue. I also still believe ESET NOD32 is an awesome product. However, recent news out of the AV review world pegs Sunbelt Software's VIPRE as the hot new contender. I've had previous pleasant dealings with Sunbelt, and the VIPRE reviews in terms of speed, refreshingly low memory footprint (like NOD32 but even better,) and of course it's prowess at detection made me believe this was as good a time as any for a switch.

So I am now running Sunbelt VIPRE Antivirus + Antispyware.

The path to a working WampServer setup was as follows:

Uninstall Wamp
Uninstall ESET NOD32
Reboot required
Delete remnant folders for Wamp and ESET
Run registry cleaner to eliminate orphaned stuff from the uninstalls (TuneUp Utilities 2008)
Install WampServer
Localhost available without error (yea!)
Install VIPRE
Reboot required
Check WampServer & localhost access
All is well...

Thanks for your help and I hope all of this helps others out, too.

Date: November 12, 2008 06:27PM

Posted by: eurosecure2 (---.gavlenet.com)
Date: November 16, 2008 01:04AM

There might be an issue with certain IPv6 systems.

Open the file "hosts" in the folder "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\" in Notepad or some other text editor.

If there is a line containing:
::1 localhost

Remove that line, or add a # infront of it, like:
#::1 localhost

Then save the file, and restart the computer. That should make it work.

If you are running Vista, UAC might prevent you from saving to that file, but you could edit a local copy, and move it to the right folder. UAC should allow you to replace the file. You could also right-click Notepad in the Start-Menu, and choose to run it as an administrator, then open and edit the file.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.