Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Unable to connect to WAMP server
Posted by: baggam (---.zone3.bethere.co.uk)
Date: October 12, 2008 09:54PM

Hi,
I have got WAMP installed on my laptop and it is currently offline. When i type http:localhost into Firefox am getting the error Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost. Before installing this i had apache insalled which i have now deleted and am getting this error. Before, the local host was connecting to a folder Projects. Now i have deleted the old apache it is still making a refernece to the Projects flder in my C drive. I cant get it to read the files in www folder

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2008 09:54PM by baggam.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Unable to connect to WAMP server
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: October 12, 2008 10:06PM

wat colour is wamp icon?

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Posted by: baggam (---.zone3.bethere.co.uk)
Date: October 12, 2008 10:09PM

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply i just removed it and reinstalled it and it worked.

Thanks once again
Monica

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: October 12, 2008 10:24PM

ok no problem. need any other help- just ask

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Posted by: Kiru (---.clt.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 04, 2010 06:19AM

I too am having the same problem, and I have also uninstalled / reinstalled / uninstalled downloaded a fresh version reinstalled. same problem, my icon is white. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you

Posted by: dobbouk (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: April 14, 2010 01:02PM

im having a similar problem. my icon is yellow

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: April 14, 2010 05:04PM

make sure no other program conflict wamp such as iis, skype, zonealarm, firewall/antivirus, nod32, eset, any web related program ...

IIS and Apache/Wamp are both web server and might conflict in some way, so you have to disable IIS in order for Wamp to work

Disable IIS in Vista:
Control Panel, Uninstall Programs, Turn Widows Features On or Off, uncheck Internet Information Services

Disable IIS in XP:
Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components, uncheck Internet Information Services (IIS)

Restart computer, then restart Wamp

Also, open file hosts in folder C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc then delete everything in there and have only this line and nothing else
127.0.0.1 localhost

if using skype, open skype > tools > options > connections > advanced > untick "use port 80 ..." then restart wamp then skype

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: pd (---.cust.tele2.se)
Date: April 15, 2010 10:47AM

I have the same problem. I installed IIS and MS SQL Server after I had first installed wamp, then later uninstalled MS SQL server and disabled IIS, but now I only get a blank screen when I launch phpmyadmin. I have also unticked in Skype as described. I tried to reinstall wamp, but it didn't help. My icon is white, by the way.

Date: April 15, 2010 11:27AM

Forgot one thing, I managed to get wamp working on port 8080 when I had IIS occupying 80. Now if I try localhost:8080 it still works, although I have removed everything about 8080 in the wamp directory . I want to get back to port 80, since Joomla gets confused when I use 8080. Don't understand what connects wamp with port 8080.

Date: April 15, 2010 02:32PM

you have to replace 8080 in httpd.conf

find:

listen 8080

change to:

listen 80

save file and restart wamp

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: April 15, 2010 11:22PM

Thanks, now it doesn't work with localhost:8080, but instead the icon turns yellow when I start wampserver and I can't start phpmyadmin (blank screen). How can I debug further? Is there some error log to look at.

Posted by: parapet (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 16, 2010 02:24AM

I've got the same problem.. I just installed WampServer 2.0i on Windows XP (SP3). When I click on localhost in the systray icon's menu, Firefox tells me it can't establish a connection to localhost. The icon is white. Typing in "localhost" in the address bar doesn't make any difference, but I didn't expect that it would.

Next I went into the systray menu and opened up the Apache modules to check off rewrite_module, when I tried to do so, the message tells me it can't perform the service action because the service has not been started. Yet I've clicked on the "Start Services" menu item, then stop services, then start again, and it hasn't helped.

I've installed, uninstalled, installed, uninstalled, etc. I checked in the httpd.conf file and for listen 80, and it was there as "80" and not "8080". I made sure that antivirus, etc., was disabled when I installed and when I tried the above actions. Nothing has helped.

I don't know enough about Wamp to know what else to try other than what I've read above in this topic--I'm hoping to learn about it, which is why I installed it--and would appreciate any suggestions offered.

Thanks in advance!

SOLVED: Unable to connect to WAMP server
Posted by: parapet (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 16, 2010 03:44AM

UPDATE:
In case it helps anyone else, I finally found out what was using port 80 for me and thus blocking Wamp. It was not easy to track down, since I had already shut down all that was suggested (see my earlier post in this topic).

Here's how to find out what's using port 80 in Windows XP:
1) Go to START-->Run and type cmd to bring up a Command prompt

2) In the Command Prompt window. type netstat -aon.
This will bring up a list of the ports and what's Listening on them. Look for the one ending in :80 (yes there's a colon between the IP address and the port, so it may look something like 127.0.0.0:80)

3)To the right of the IP address ending in :80, you should see that the port is "listening", and to the right of the listening state, there's a PID (Process Identifier) number. Make a note of that number.

>>> Another method for finding out the port number is to download the fport utility:
[www.foundstone.com]
Unzip it, place it in the root of c:\ , then in the command prompt window type in c:\fport. It will list out all the ports and what processes are using them. Much faster to do.<<<

4) Open up the Windows Task Manager. In order to see the PID numbers of the various processes, so you can identify which process is using Port 80, click on the Processes tab, then choose View-->Select Columns from the menu. Check the box next to PID (Process Identifier). You'll now be able to see which process matches up with the PID number you noted earlier. If you used fport, you'll already know which program it is.

5) Once you've identified the process using port 80 you'll know which program you need to shut down. It saves some guessing as to which process is using port 80, and may mean that you won't have to shut down your antivirus, etc. in order to clear that port.

Pat

Date: April 16, 2010 11:59AM

I don't think I have any more problems with the port number, I ran the netstat and there is no conflict. Still the icon doesn't turn white, it stays yellow, and launching phpmyadmin renders a blank screen. Even after uninstall - reinstall. The server is offline, and if I try to make it online, I get an Aestan Tray Menu error message saying:

Could not execute menu item (internal error) [Exception] Could not perform service action: The service has not been started.

Date: April 16, 2010 03:37PM

After a lot of trial and error I got ot working. Unfortunately I don't know what made the difference. Hope it stays ths way.

Posted by: Gardnersw (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: April 29, 2010 11:03PM

I followed Parapet's instructions to check port 80, the only service/process using it is WAMP. However, netstat -aon returned it as follows:

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State PID
TCP 0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 1852

PID1852 is listed as wampapache in the Task Manager

I've also disabled the Microsoft IIS

The icon is white, server online.

[localhost] works just fine

phpmyadmin was coming up blank, but after fixing the config.inc.php it now loads the login screen after about 20 seconds. I am, however, unable to get past the login screen, even with username root and correct password.

Any advice on next troubleshooting step?

Date: April 30, 2010 03:11AM

Posted by: Gardnersw (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: April 30, 2010 04:43AM

Thanks, I was eventually able to get it to work.

Posted by: Porpoise (---.resT138.jtibs.net)
Date: May 03, 2010 04:16PM

Hmm.... Well, digging a bit deeper, I've established that there is absolutely nothing listening on port 80 - so that's ruled out. However, on checking the httpd.conf file, I discovered the documentroot was pointing to the wrong drive/directory. However, since changing that to point to the correct drive(external)/directory, I now get Apache crashing with the following error:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: httpd.exe
Application Version: 2.2.11.0
Application Timestamp: 493f5d44
Fault Module Name: php5ts.dll
Fault Module Version: 5.3.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a4922e7
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000e4e3d
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Read our privacy statement:
[go.microsoft.com]

Posted by: preyas (---.static.optonline.net)
Date: May 30, 2010 06:26AM

Went through all posts on this conversation.

Wamp is listening to 80. No errors in any of the error logs. But the icon is Yellow.

[localhost]

gives error: Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.