is the PHP limited?
Posted by: wamper_man (---.red.bezeqint.net)
Date: September 17, 2008 06:02PM

First of all I would like to thank the creator of WAMP for his great idea and work.
Now, I have a problem with the PHP, and I think some extension is missing.
My website is in Hebrew and I set the charset (MySQL,PHP,HTML) to UTF-8. (which works on my own rented server)

Yet, on my computer with wamp server, Hebrew is displayed as "?????" and mess up the whole website.
I tried to play with define('CHARSET','utf-8');setlocale(LC_ALL,'he') and stuff but nothing helped.

Can you please, help me solve this problem?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: is the PHP limited?
Posted by: leonard2 (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: September 19, 2008 02:25AM

the oriental characters no can see i to have the too problem with the japanese charactrs but i try with codes like a this コ ン and works so..

I do not know if you can do the same, or activate some files as inc, ini, bla.bla

Re: is the PHP limited? (2byte Japanese)
Posted by: webren (---.dynamic.ppp.asahi-net.or.jp)
Date: September 20, 2008 01:54PM

Same error encountered here with Japanese 2byte characters on the latest WAMP (tried other MySQL versions - same error)

Exact same setup works on another Apache/MySQL setup correctly displaying the Japanese shift-jis/sjis characters

I noticed that the moderator of this forum said that use of utf-8 would fix it but this is NOT the case.
There are specific character sets for Japanese that must be used to avoid displaying meaningless codes such as コ ン

In otherwords, for data to be readable on the rendered pages AND plainly readable within the database as well it must use a native character set for the language in question

SOLUTION Re: is the PHP limited? (2byte Japanese)
Posted by: webren (---.dynamic.ppp.asahi-net.or.jp)
Date: November 01, 2008 02:43PM

found an answer at last...

add the following query to your PHP after you connect to the DB

mysql_query ('SET NAMES sjis');
- OR -
mysql_query ('SET CHARACTER SET sjis');

either one works... not sure why or which is better but no longer are you left
with a page of ???????????? instead of japanese characters!

this should of course work for any character set you wish to force at render time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.