Cant run WAMP on Vista - Port 80 bound already
Posted by: plymws (---.cable.ubr22.newt.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 02, 2008 02:04PM

I'm trying to run WAMP on a Vista machine. When I try and connect to [localhost] I get a blank screen.

Having searched through numerous forums I have found that netstat -o shows a TCP process with PID 0 and local address 127.0.0.1 is bound to port 80 and in a TIME_WAIT state.

I do not have AVG, SkyPE, Windows Defender or Windows firewall running as they were all turned off to trouble shoot this problem. I can not killtask /PID 0 as it is a ystem critical process apparently.

I also do not have IIS or and other WWW software running.

What can I do to get a WAMP server runnibg on Vista ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cant run WAMP on Vista - Port 80 bound already
Posted by: Lance Monotone (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: July 02, 2008 02:55PM

I had the same problem, but for me it was Skype. Try typing 'netstat -ao' (with an 'a') at CMD and that will give you a list of everything running on each port. Maybe you'll find your culprit there.

Now if I could just get MySQL started, I'd be happy.

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: July 02, 2008 03:08PM

Do you have anything else in this list: IIS, Skype, Zone Alarm, NOD32, Eset, Internet Optimizer, Google Accelerator, any other database server, any other webserver?

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: plymws (---.cable.ubr22.newt.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 02, 2008 06:09PM

As stated in the OP I do not have IIS, SkyPE or any of the other usual culprits running. All I have is a program on the loopback IP 127.0.0.1:80 with PID 0 that can not be killed because it's a system task.

Posted by: Lance Monotone (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: July 02, 2008 06:55PM

Did you run netstat -o, as you stated in your OP, or did you try netstat -ao, as I mentioned? My problem wasn't apparent until I ran the latter. You might also try netstat -b, which will give you a listing of the actual EXE using the port. Maybe helpful, maybe not.

Posted by: deviao (---.osdbas.external.hp.com)
Date: July 03, 2008 08:25AM

I have the same problem!

I thought it was because i was trying to run on a different port other than 80 but seems not. However, i managed to disabled IIS and when itest port 80 it says no servcie is using the port. So why won't apache start!

Like you i have no firewall blocking it, no skype etc, WAMP just doesnt seem to like me anymore...

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: July 03, 2008 03:43PM

Try to test wamp on different port to find out if port is being used by different application or blocked by your isp.

Open file httpd.conf and find this line

listen 80

Change to

listen 81

Save file and restart wamp to take effect. Remember to enable port 81 in all firewalls and routers as well ;-)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: sue (218.111.53.---)
Date: March 03, 2009 10:14AM

thank you for this. i thought it didn't work but forgot to put :81 in the address.. thank you. smiling smiley

Posted by: jw84 (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: November 11, 2009 01:20PM

Hi all

Don't know if this is much help but I was having major problems getting apache to start. The system tray icon stayed yellow.

After trying everything (Changing port, closing Skype, Firewall, Anti Virus off etc.) still wouldn't work.

Eventually I ran a port checker (included in the Xampp download) and it showed clearly that Port 80 was being used by another application. This application is called Kservice.exe (by Kontiki) and it is installed onto your system if you use 'Video on demand' services, such as Sky Anytime, 4oD and the original BBC iPlayer.

I deleted the Kservice.exe process in task manager and restarted WAMP.............sorted!!!

Hope this helps
JW

Posted by: tech_extendcode (---.84.163.122.airtelbroadband.in)
Date: January 14, 2010 07:48AM

We were also having problem in running apache server as IIS is already running at port:80 but we had changed the port to 81 in httpd.conf. It worked.

Thanks,
Dev Team
[www.extendcode.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.