Always going to local host
Posted by: scholaire (66.35.132.---)
Date: June 16, 2008 05:19PM

Hi,

Just a quick question. I set up Wampserver on both a Windows 2000 server and a Windows XP workstation. Both installations work fine when I test the site by going to [localhost] but when I replace the localhost name with either the computer name or the computer's IP address it replaces it with localhost. When I try to access these installs from another computer by typeing for example [192.168.10.120] the address is changed back to [localhost] which of course fails. It's almost like it is doing a forwarding to localhost!

Why is this happening, it does not seem to be very useful if the site can only be accessed from localhost.

Thanks,
Robert

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Always going to local host
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: June 16, 2008 11:28PM

It sounds like your web app has mod_rewrite and always changes the URL to the 1 when you install that app

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.34-85-b.business.telecomitalia.it)
Date: June 17, 2008 08:12AM

in your hosts file in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

there is something changing it. post up ur host file

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Posted by: scholaire (66.35.132.---)
Date: June 18, 2008 03:04PM

Found the answer myself. Went in as Admin and found the Settings option. On that settings page I found the fields that set the URL and Blog URL. Both had Localhost in the URL. When I change that from Localhost to the IP address that in turn changed what was forced in the address line. I then only could access the site from it's new external URL and not from the localhost console which seems odd to me. What if I wanted to make a change on the console of the Windows computer running the site or if the external network is not available how to I then get to the WP-admin if it will only work on that external IP address in the URL.

As far as the Host file it only had the default entry for 127.0.0.1 to localhost.

Thanks for your help!

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: June 18, 2008 03:14PM

As mentioned, that app setup that way, and you should consult the solution in that app website or forums ;-)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.