slow WAMP/MySQL with local tests of Drupal & Joomla
Posted by: aaron1948 (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 16, 2008 06:45AM

I am experimenting with Drupal and Joomla setups -- using WAMP 5 as a testing server on my PC.

I am experiencing incredibly slow MySQL response time while working in Site Administration, revising, updating, and previewing. Even going Back a page is slow.

I would appreciate any advice about what settings or resources to explore. In researching the problem, I am a bit overwhelmed about which of many pathways to explore first.

I have been exploring things like:
- tmp_table_size
- table cache value
- "joins that don't use keys properly"
BUT I'm not sure in which file to start experimenting with settings -- or even which logs and config files to look at. Is the my.ini file used by WAMP?

*** Some setup info ***

VISTA HOME PREMIUM with SP1, 4 GB RAM

WAMP 5: APACHE / 2.2.6, MySQL /5.0.45, PHP / 5.2.5

Firefox/2.0.0.14

I'm testing Drupal 5.7 and 6.4, and Joomla 1.5.

In MySQL, I have 3 Drupal databases, and 1 Joomla databases -- but only use one at a time. All the databases and setups are experimental and I can easily re-install if needed.

Thanks!
Aaron

Re: slow WAMP/MySQL with local tests of Drupal & Joomla
Posted by: toivo (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 16, 2008 02:40PM

Hi,

If you are using WAMP on a PC, is anything else going on in the PC at the same time?

You certainly have enough RAM to run WAMP. However, you may want to increase the default maximum memory limit of PHP session 128MB to a higher number by modifying the memory_limit parameter in the php.ini file in c:\wamp\bin\apache\apache2.2.8\bin.

Domain lookup can slow down access and using the host file streamlines it. Add the URLs you are using into the hosts file:

127.0.0.1 mytestsiteurl.com

Using the back key in a CMS administration may not be practical, one would usually either click Save, Cancel or use the options in the menu.

Regards,

toivo
Sydney, Australia

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: June 16, 2008 11:37PM

In MySQL, I have 3 Drupal databases, and 1 Joomla databases -- but only use one at a time.
Can you state more clear how did you set them up and tested them 1 by 1?

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: June 17, 2008 12:26AM

Thank you for your suggestions/

1) RE: modifying the memory_limit in the php.ini

I had already changed it to 256. Should I try higher?

2) RE: "is anything else going on in the PC at the same time?"

1. Antivirus: McAfee Security Center
2. A few programs open, but not hogging memory
3. Vista UAC is disabled

Date: June 17, 2008 12:49AM

Thanks.

Testing is local only, via WAMP

Drupal

1. Created MySQL database via WAMP, using phpMyAdmin
2. Installed according to instructions
3. I have installed 2 version 6 sites, and 2 version 5 test sites -- as individual, not multisite, installs in separate directories and sites, with different Testing Server Folders in C:\wamp\www\sitename
4. Only one is open at any time, e,g. [localhost].
5. Change theme and add modules
6. Testing = simply viewing changed pages locally in Admin window, or tabbed local site URL

While working on site, I have Dreamweaver open and use minimally to inspect html or css.
(Could this be an issue? I have a total of 13 Sites in C:\wamp\www\. Four are real, and others are testing only.

I have McAfee Security Center antivirus on. I could try disabling it -- since my Testing is all local. But I periodically need to research issues online. Although, I could use my second computer for online work if McAffee might contribute to slowdown.

Joomla
1. Same install procedure.
2. Theme change to a purchased theme: (JSN Epic Pro by Joomlashine)
3. Testing = simply viewing changed pages locally -- either in Preview mode or via a second Firefox Tab or in IE.

Slow down happens while swtiching to menu items, making and saving changes, previewing

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: June 17, 2008 01:16AM

Did you create a db for each, I mean you have 16 db's for 16 sites? If not, it's a problem

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2008 01:16AM by yfastud.

Date: June 17, 2008 02:13AM

yfastud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did you create a db for each, I mean you have 16
> db's for 16 sites? If not, it's a problem

I have a db just for for each Drupal and Joomla test.

Others: These are HTML-only. WAMP is on to just so I can preview; MYSQL & PHP are loaded, but not used,

- 3 are real sites -- HTML-only. I use WAMP just to preview, and Dreamweaver to Upload to remote server.

- Remaining others (not Drupal, Joomla, & online) are just tests and downloaded sample sites, not online.

Downloaded sample sites have no db; I'm exploring them for design only. BUT they do include php links and code -- should I take them out of c:/wamp/www?

Posted by: djangobanana (---.rev.numericable.fr)
Date: July 06, 2008 01:31PM

hi, i think i found a possible solution, but it's on the French threads. I understand the language but not the technicalities. this is it :

[forum.wampserver.com]

it says, i quote :
"@ of the database: you have to put localhost and not the outside @
"but in the @ field of the site, u have to put the outside @
"the system would loop and take 4 to 5 secs to close the loop, when its database was local

Now if you guys could help me out figuring out what that means, that would be great, i mean where do the email change have to be set up, cause that's what the @ sign refers to, right ?

oh and 3 more little things it lists as a reminder :

"- create a new user (different from root) with access to all databases and all @
"- forward ports 80 and 3306 toward your server
"- make sure your php.ini param are "allow all" instead of "allow 127.0.0.1 deny all"

I hope this helps some and you guys can give me an answer on the first part as i believe that's where my problem is coming from

Thanks

Posted by: toivo (---.belrs3.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: July 06, 2008 02:44PM

Sounds a bit vague, frankly. Emails have little to do with it all, I am afraid. One thing is certain: domain lookup could take extra time unless the domains are all listed in the hosts file, pointing to 127.0.0.1.

Regards,

toivo
Sydney, Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.