Editing Permissions on Windows
Posted by: xen0va (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2008 04:24AM

Hello! I have set up WAMP properly and everything, I just need the "CHMODs" for one file to be 777. As I don't have an *nix OS, I can't do it that easily. I tried getting BabyFTP and setting up an FTP server on my computer and then running connecting via FlashFXP to edit CHMODs but I get "502 command not implemented".

I can do the windows "cacls" command in cmd, the file I'm tryin to chmod to 777 is called "information.txt"

"cacls information.txt" gives me:

BUILTIN\Administrators:F
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:F
XEN0VA\xen0va: F
BUILTIN\Users:R

So I did "cacls information.txt /P Everyone:F"

Does that give equal permissions as CHMOD 777? What can I do? Please help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Editing Permissions on Windows
Posted by: recycle_bin (84.47.247.---)
Date: May 20, 2008 08:56AM

First of all, check your Folder Options settings and if “use simple file sharing” selected, deselect it.
For doing that, in windows explorer (my computer) from menu bar:

Tools / Folder Options … / View (Tab) / Scroll down to end of Advanced Settings and check the latest item.

After unchecked it (if checked), Right Click on target file or folder and click Properties. In properties window, select “security” tab and then change permissions for user or groups.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2008 08:59AM by recycle_bin.

Posted by: xen0va (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2008 02:05PM

Ah! right! I did that.. and the users that were on there were "Administrators, SYSTEM, Xen0va" So I added an "Everyone" group and made sure all 4 groups have "Full Control, Modify, Read + Execute, Read, Write".. So say it is modified remotely, it will change in my "www" folder as well? Like if I have it set up to go up by 1 everytime someone clicks on something on my site.

Posted by: recycle_bin (84.47.245.---)
Date: May 21, 2008 07:31AM

Sorry xen0va, I can’t understand …

Your permissions affected on all content of target directory and “full control” access for “everyone” is a security risk for web servers. But when you are using local machine (not real internet server), this is no matter.

please tell me more, and if I can, tell you more …

regards

Posted by: xen0va (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 22, 2008 01:10AM

Well, the permissions just has to be equivalent to "777" and since I'm not on a *nix.. I assumed giving "everyone" full control is what I need, it's not my entire folder only a .txt file.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.